Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Fussy Girl

Baby E is still so miserable today that I called and made a doctor appointment. She slept better last night, only waking maybe 3 times, but she's so very fussy today.

She keeps crying sharply, but nothing I do seems to soothe her. She wants to be held, but then cries to get down, only to cry harder and throw herself pitifully on the floor when I put her down. She has taken a couple of naps, only to awaken prematurely, crying. When I pick her up she'll doze off again, then wake up crying in my arms moments later, and repeat that cycle several times.

It seems to be lasting too long to be a reaction to something she ate two days ago. I doubt it has to do with hitting her head, but I'll ask the doctor about that anyway.

I'm thinking maybe ear infection?

We'll see what the doctor says. At least our regular pediatrician (the fabulous one) is on call, so we'll get to see him at the after-hours clinic tonight.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ear infection sounds likely, poor thing.

Big hugs to all of you.

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

If it's any consolation, Adela's been unusually fussy/clingy for about a month now and she gets a full night's sleep snug in bed w/ me, nursing freely! I'm thinking she might have an environmental allergy, too, since fall is coming on quickly now. Her runny nose just cleared up today though. It's been helpful to hear about your attempt to identify allergies.

I'm reading a book now called Eat Right for your Type which is about blood type diets... it's been a realy eye-opener for me and I'm putting together a reference table of foods for type A's that I can keep handy - some are actually beneficial in the healing sense and others should be avoided. Foods have something called LECTIN in them and I don't know much about it but it causes different reactions in the body... have you heard of this?

Also, I know this is scary but I can't help thinking of a friend who has a little boy with leukemia. She actually had to press the doctor to emphasize that something really does seem wrong with Ethan before they figured it out. (He's now at the end of his treatments.) I certainly don't think Baby E has that! But the way you described how her skin color doesn't bounce back really bothers me! I feel like I have a little bit of intuition about health b/c my parents are both nurses.

Colleen

9:30 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks, Liz and Colleen. I hope Adela feels better.

I highly doubt Baby E has anything like leukemia. My mom and I both also have the same type of thing, and my sisters to some extent too. We're very pale and we get red marks, bruises and scars easily. Sometimes I can get scabs and bruises just from briefly scratching an itch, or from having the edge of my jeans scrape my leg when pulling them on.

If anything, I think it may be a mineral/vitamin absorption thing, or possibly thyroid related. Whatever it is, it runs in the family and certainly doesn't seem to be fatal.

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home