Saturday, October 14, 2006

Sleepless

Well, Baby E nursed a lot from dinnertime until bedtime. 3 times in 5 hours, to be exact.

She went to sleep easily, while nursing. She seemed so extremely happy and contented.

Then she was awake from 3 a.m. to 6 a.m. We brought her into our bed, where she tossed and turned and wouldn't settle down for an hour. Then we tried to put her back into her own bed. She screamed and screamed. DH tried to cuddle her to sleep and she screamed some more.

I don't know if she was just hungry or if something else was bothering her, but we didn't want to give her solid food in the middle of the night (we've made that mistake before--then she wakes up every night at that time expecting a meal) and she didn't want to nurse.

So she had water, and eventually dozed off fitfully in our bed, rubbing my face and arms for comfort. When I woke up a couple of hours later, she was still tossing and rubbing my arms.

This morning she's refusing to nurse again.

Maybe there really is something wrong with my milk?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sheesh, you could write a whole mystery novel on this! ;-) La Leche League can answer your questions (www.lalecheleague.org).

LLL Resources:
http://www.lalecheleague.org/nb.html?m=0,0,0

"This, too, shall pass" is the mantra I often hear at my meetings. Keep up the good works!

Colleen :-)

9:57 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks, Colleen . . . I am in contact with the La Leche League in my area, as well as another breastfeeding support group.

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, this time, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's not your milk. I'm guessing based on her symptoms that it's either teeth or ears.

In both cases, sucking makes the pain worse.

But, since I'm the one who thought you should always think allergies first, what the heck do I know, right?

6:12 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

That was one thing I wondered about, Liz. But she seemed fine all day today, so I think it may have just been that she drank too much milk immediately before lying down.

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home