Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Communication

Baby E is getting so good at communicating. She has fewer times lately when she's just crying and whining and we can't figure out what's wrong.

Last night she woke around 1:30, whimpering softly and calling for "Mama". But she didn't cry much. She just wanted me to hold her.

She wasn't hungry; she just didn't feel good and wanted Mommy nearby. She couldn't sleep. Who could blame her for not wanting to be in pain alone in the dark?

Eventually I took her back to our bed.

Lying beside me, she still couldn't sleep. She would sigh, and take my hand to put it on her belly. Then she'd look at me solemnly and say, "Ow."

I'd say, "Your tummy hurts? I'm sorry. Do you want me to rub it for you?"

She'd nod and relax a bit as I gently rubbed her belly. Just having me understand seemed to help more than the actual rubbing. I was glad to be able to comfort her in some small way.

I rubbed her tummy until 5 a.m., with both of us dozing off sporadically. Then she nursed, and DH took her downstairs for a while to give me a break. They both fell asleep on the couch.

Before bed last night, Baby E decided she wanted to watch a video. She went to the cabinet, opened it, and carefully chose one. Then she took it to DH, who was sitting on the couch.

She toddled as quickly as she could across to the VCR. Looking over her shoulder at DH, she reached up as far as she could toward the slot, urging him to put it in.

When he didn't respond, she whimpered, then signed "please" and made her best pleading puppydog face.

Now, who can resist a performance like that?

When she's hungry or thirsty, Baby E goes to the low cupboard where we keep the kids' dishes. She'll get a dish and take it over to the refrigerator.

There, she'll either hold a cup up to the water dispenser or try to open the door and gesture toward the item of food she thinks she wants to eat.

The last day or so she's suddenly become ravenous again, eating almost constantly. She says and signs "more" a lot.

Baby E is using a lot of words and hand signs. She loves being able to communicate so clearly.

I'm enjoying it, too.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's wonderful!! She's so smart. And doing so well despite all her digestive troubles.

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home