Sunday, November 05, 2006

Reinventing a Classic

Pediatric Grand Rounds is up, with my post about Baby E featured as the edition's medical puzzler. Dr. Gordon at Tales from the Womb did a fine job putting it together. The posts included make excellent reading.

The last couple of days, I've been working on the biggest culinary challenge I've taken on yet: making a pumpkin pie free of gluten, rice, corn, soy, dairy, fruit and eggs. I'm on my 3rd try now.

################

The girls have enjoyed each attempt, but it's not remotely the right texture or flavor yet. I've had to scrap traditional pie recipes as a starting point, and just think from the basics . . . pumpkin, sweetener, spices, and something to make it all gel together.

I need to have it figured out in time for Thanksgiving. The recipe will go on Restricted Gourmet when it's ready. Coming up with allergen-free waffle and muffin recipes was so much easier than trying to recreate this American classic without most of the essential ingredients.

It's a good thing I love a challenge.

We're heading off to church soon. I think we'll try to have the elders pray over Baby E between services.

By the way, I want to award a prize for one of the most supportive, sweet and caring persons I've had the pleasure of meeting through blogging.

The prize goes to Liz at MysteryMommy. She is also an incredible mother and does a great job of balancing a busy life while pursuing an education, as far as I can tell from reading her blog.

May I make you a custom bullet for your blog as a prize, Liz? Thank you for being you. I don't know how you find time to read and post supportive comments so consistently with all you do.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

P-K, this is so nice of you. You're right -- Liz is really great.

Let me know if you find a good pumpkin pie recipe! I'd love to try it!

5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, P_K!!! Thank you so much. I'm all weepy.

7:15 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Klee, I think I've got the recipe worked out . . . I just need to fine-tune the baking time and then I'll post it on RG.

Hugs, Liz . . . so, is a custom bullet something you'd enjoy, or not?

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home