Friday, December 22, 2006

Thirty

I'm 30 today.

My kids and husband gave me sweet cards and gifts this morning. AJ picked out some darling salt and pepper shakers for me, DH gave me flowers and a new camera (I'm very excited about that, but haven't had time to play with it or read the instructions yet), and M&M gave me a camera case.

Three friends (two who have moved out of the area but are in town for Christmas) each came over for a little while to visit today and yesterday, which was nice. They were here at separate times, and each helped a bit with getting my house ready for the big family Christmas celebration (30+ people) we're having here tomorrow.

Morning came over both yesterday and today. She gave me a thoughtful card and gift, and my friend Elementary Schoolteacher baked blueberry bread for us (I couldn't eat it, of course, but I let the older girls have some).

We didn't make much of a dent, but it was wonderful to connect with friends I hadn't seen for several months and have some adult conversation.

##################

Even with two adults here at a time, it took most of our time and energy just fixing meals and caring for the kids. We managed to do one load of dishes each day, sweep the floor, partially pack a bin or two, and put some books on a bookcase.

My house still literally looks like a disaster area. As I've been saying to DH over the past few months, all I really wanted for my birthday and Christmas was a clean house. Hopefully I'll be able to get a lot done after the kids go to bed tonight.

DH has been over at the hospital almost every night this week. I'm glad he's been able to do that. We had considered the possibility of DH and his siblings in the area taking shifts helping to care for his dad at home for the next few weeks, but ultimately the family decided to make use of a nursing facility.

Apparently FIL has a problem with his heart valve (it's only opening a tiny crack--0.4mm--to let blood through) along with the multiple myeloma. He's 88. This is a man who routinely has root canals with no anesthetic and does a vigorous hour-or-two-long workout every day (something like 100 jumping jacks, 50 times running up and down the stairs, etc). He's been more fit and active than most 20- or 30-year-olds until now.

My mom has been quite ill since Thanksgiving, but is finally better now. My sister is still waiting to hear back results for the tests she underwent last week.

I just finished cooking and eating chicken and brown rice with the kids. They really want me to have a cake, but I'm not sure I have the energy and imagination to come up with one I can eat--especially since Baby E and I are doing Candida treatments so can't have any sweetener except Stevia.

I spent most of the afternoon trying to work out mixups and issues with Baby E's prescriptions, including one that was mailed to the wrong address and we will use the last dose of tonight.

My back and shoulder went out again on Monday, so I was glad to be able to get a short-notice appointment with my chiropractor today. I'm sure I'll feel better as a result, but right now I'm just more sore from it.

Baby E has been fussy the last few days, and wanting to nurse every hour. We've finally gone two days in a row without an obvious allergic reaction, but she's cutting 4 molars.

I really need to work on finding the floor in the living and dining rooms so we can use those rooms tomorrow, and I need to get the guest and bath rooms ready for those who are staying overnight.

We have a huge Norbest turkay defrosting in the refrigerator, but I'm not sure it's going to thaw out in time. It's supposed to be corn-free, so I hope it will be okay for myself and Baby E. I'm not sure what else I'm going to cook yet.

DH is trying to see if we can work it out to have the first part of the party at the nursing care center and then have everyone come here after for dinner. If so, I think it will work out best for me and Baby E to stay here and cook dinner while everyone else is at the party.

I've been sick for about a month now, but this seems to be a fresh virus. Nothing serious--I'm just congested, coughing and sneezing, and so very tired. Hopefully I won't be contagious by tomorrow.

This morning I talked to my dad to let him know I was sick and couldn't get together with my parents and sisters as planned for my birthday tonight. He said some very sweet things about what a nice daughter and good mother I was, which was nice.

Now Baby E is done nursing, so I'm going to get the kids ready for bed and get back to work on the house.

Purple_Kangaroo, allergic to coconut, avocado, milk, blackberry leaves, latex, many environmentals (mold, dust mites, pollen, cats, etc.) and most antibiotics
. . . Mom to 3 girls, including Baby E who is allergic to corn, soy, oats, kidney beans, apples, banana, mushrooms, mold and ???

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Purple!
Things will get better eventually I know it seems bad now and everything seems to go wrong at once. When things get like that at our house (and they always seem to) I say at least it makes the good times when things are going well seem all that much better! I hope you start feeling better soon though cycling through different viruses really sucks! Hope you have a Merry Christmas and its okay if your house isn't perfect youv'e got a lot on your plate right now and I'm sure your family understands that.

11:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wishing you an easier year ahead, PK. And I hope the party today goes well.

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooo to be thirty again. Thirty is definitely better than 20's, have a great decade. Ready to ring in the new year? Got to be a better one for you.
Best wishes

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First off, Happy Birthday! I'm glad that you got a chance to see some old friends and have a little break. I am sending you many Happy Birthday wishes!

Secondly, I'm sorry you're feeling ill. I was hoping that you and Baby E were both able to add more things back to your diet after all the testing that you've had going on. I sure hope that you all discover something more that you can safely eat. Much love to both you and Baby E, and hugs to the rest of the fam!

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!!

And hugs-a-rama.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

happy belated birthday! congrats on joining the ranks of us other 30-somethings. ;)

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've semi-followed your blog for a few months now, mostly in search of allergen free recipes. A site you might look into(or already know of) for recipes for cake and the like is
http://www.ourgaggleofgirls.com/recipes/

Happy Birthday!

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday? Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday, dear friend.

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home