Thursday, March 22, 2007

Better Already

Baby E was feeling much better by last night, after less than 24 hours off the suspect Kosher for Passover foods. She even went to bed at a reasonable time and slept through the night.

I stayed up far too late making French onion soup to freeze (wow, that's good stuff, and so easy to make--I just learned how to make it last week, and I'll never see the leftover stock from making a pot roast the same way again. Mmmm), non-cream of cauliflower soup for lunch and dinner today, and a sweet potato pudding for good measure, and then cleaning up the kitchen afterwards.

It's so nice to have food cooked and ready to heat and serve. The girls and I went shopping with Morning tonight. When we got home I just had to pop the soup and some cooked meat in the microwave and dinner was served.

##############

The sweet potato (yam) pudding was really good made with orange juice, tapioca flour, a touch of honey and allspice. Everyone liked it, but then Baby E stopped eating hers after a few bites and seemed to have a fresh (though more mild and short-lived) flare-up of (non)allergy symptoms shortly after that, and again the next few times she nursed after I ate it. So sweet potatoes are back on the suspect list.

Still, Baby E and I are both feeling much better. She's asleep now, and I'm heading to bed without even cleaning up the kitchen. Because I. am. really. tired. And tomorrow I'm going to go help a friend do some finishing touches with remodeling and painting her kitchen.

DH is still sick. AJ and M&M have a much milder case of whatever it is, and much of Baby E's congestion and discomfort magically went away when her (non)allergic reactions subsided.

Whatever was bothering Baby E made me feel a bit icky too. The really interesting thing was that, along wih the GI symptoms, itchiness and general unwellness, I got a nasty case of what seemed to be a localized and severe Candida infection, if you know what I mean. It was one of those unmentionable and highly uncomfortable things that would most likely normally require medical treatment (or at least Very Powerful OTC Medicine).

I thought maybe it was from eating too much sugar, but it went away as quickly and easily as Baby E's symptoms did when we stopped eating the margarine and other questionable foods. Very, very interesting.

A number of people on one of my allergy forums have talked about stubborn Candida and/or bacterial issues that kept recurring or didn't get better with any kind of diet or treatment, but resolved completely when allergens were discovered and removed from the diet. It's so fascinating how everything in the body is so interconnected with such a delicate balance.

Labels: , , ,


6 Comments:

Blogger chaoticfamily said...

Wow - you sound organized - I guess you have to be when eating is such a full-time job! :(

Hope you have a good weekend. :)

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting about the Candida. Glad that cleared up quickly. And very glad you and Baby E are feeling better. Onward and onward . . .

12:44 PM  
Blogger my4kids said...

Glad to hear Baby E and you are feeling better. I hope the hubby and other kids get better soon also.

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Candaclear from Rockwell Nutrition is one of the best products going for vaginal yeast infections. Those, and boric acid capsules. I know many women, myself included, who have tried various OTC and Rx treatments and ended infections for once and for all with a since treatment of these products.
Live sauerkraut, which is very easy to make, is also good for digestive health and candida.

2:20 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Chaoticfamily, I'm not really organized, but I have to plan ahead a lot more than I used to with food.

Madeleine and My4Kids, thanks. DH is on the mend, AJ and M&M are in the middle of it, and Baby E and I are feeling fine.

Hi, Tara! Thankfully my yeast infection or whatever it was disappeared. I was wondering if you know anything about Threelac? I've done the sauerkraut, but I'd really like to find other ways to add beneficial bacteria into our diet, if I can find one that isn't grown on dairy or corn.

11:45 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

PK,

In the beginning of my treatment (when I was going it alone and desperate) I tried ThreeLac and it worked for a while but lost its effectiveness. Plus it is so expensive.
Right now, the best probiotics guy I know of in the business is Harry, from CustomProbiotics (www.customprobiotics.com) in California. His probiotics are very high quality and contain no additives. He has six blends to choose from but can custom blend according to your ND's specs if needed. He came very highly recommended by my doc who specializes in gut health. It is helpful is you know which strain of yeast you are dealing with to get the right blend to counteract it. Also, and I'm sure you know this already, the gut needs to be somewhat healed and receptive to probiotics, in order for them to hang out and recolonize which is what you want. Aloe, marshmallow root, L-glutamine, etc. will do this.
Any type of live food such as water kefir, live sauerkraut or kim chee will also provide beneficial bacteria. The doses are smaller but the cost is way less. I haven't tried kim chee but kefir and sauerkraut are easy to make.
I hope this helps. Feel free to email me if you need more information.
And I'm glad your infection cleared up. Those can be a bear. Be aware too that yeast and bacterial vaginosis are often "sister" infections; one leads right to the other and symptoms are somewhat similar. Thankfully the Candaclear and Yeast Arrest stop both.

Tara

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home