Friday, February 23, 2007

Cake Baking

Today AJ is 6 years old. Happy birthday, AJ!

It has become tradition that the birthday person gets to choose what we eat for all the meals on their birthday. AJ's requested breakfast of zucchini rye coffee cake is in the oven now, smelling delicious as it bakes. (I'll post the recipe on Restricted Gourmet later, once I'm sure my modifications to the recipe work.)

Since we're having a small family birthday party tonight and the party for her friends tomorrow, AJ requested a parsnip cake and a vanilla cake.

I told AJ I was having trouble finding a vanilla cake recipe that would work with our allergies (whole-grain flour, no eggs or dairy products, no corn, soy, etc.), and she said that she would tell me what to put in it. Here's her recipe, with no hints or suggestions at all from me:

2 cups cinnamon
3 cups baking powder
5 eggs
1 cup of sugar
3 cups oil, any kind
1 cup of honey
1 cup flour
1 cup wheat flour

And that's all! Then you just need to heat the oven to 44 degrees and let it cook that long. Oh, I forgot: 2 cups of vanilla.

Labels: , ,


8 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

I think you have a future chef on your hands! :-P

10:14 AM  
Blogger Jenny F. Scientist said...

Happy birthday to AJ!

11:19 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

That's gonna be SOME CAKE....enjoy it ;)
Happy Birthday to AJ! :)

12:16 PM  
Blogger my4kids said...

Happy Birthday AJ!!
I love her idea for the recipe thats cute.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Bridget said...

yeah let us know how the vanila cake turns out. :)
happy birthday girlie girl!

3:36 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Happy B'day AJ!!

As for that vanilla cake, lol, I almost would be tempted to let her do it as is, just to teach her proportions, baking stuff, etc, but then the cost of vanilla and oil would win that temptation:)

9:40 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks, everyone. I was just impressed that she knew all the ingredients that should go into a cake.

If we changed the units of measure to teaspoons and tablespoons where appropriate, the recipe might actually work--especially with 2 cups of flour as AJ said when telling Aunt Sparrow her recipe.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

I hope AJ had a happy birthday!

7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home