Friday, July 13, 2007

Shampooless

I've always had thick, curly, hair with a tendency to get frizzy, and a scalp prone to flaking and itching. After I had kids, my hair got thinner and flatter, but it was still frizzy a lot.

I've tried tons of different shampoos and conditioners over the years, and even expensive special frizz-control treatments. Some hair products and dyes caused hives on my scalp. Others just irritated my skin or didn't do a good job balancing the moisture and control in my hair.

Even when I found a product that worked, it would only work well for a while. I eventually ended up keeping at least 2 or 3 brands of shampoo and conditioner in the shower. I'd have to rotate them to keep my hair looking relatively decent and keep my head from itching so much.

When we discovered the severity of Baby E's corn and soy intolerances, I decided to try finding a shampoo with no corn or soy in it. I had trouble finding one, so I started out trying a baking soda and vinegar treatment, then switched to just using our corn-free bar soap on my hair.

My hair was awful for the first week or so of using bar soap to wash it. After that, my hair seemed to adjust and now it looks and feels better than it ever did when using shampoo. Adding a few drops of essential oils to my vinegar rinse makes a huge difference for me.

#############

I wet my hair and shampoo with Kiss my Face Olive Oil bar soap. I just rub the bar on my head or rub it on my hands to get a lather and then work that into my hair.

Then I rinse with water.

Then I put about a tablespoon or two of apple cider vinegar in the bottom of a drinking glass. I add several drops of essential oils (maybe 5 drops lavendar and 3 drops sweet orange) and fill up the glass with about 6 oz. water. I rinse this lightly with water.

For some reason, the essential oils make a big difference. My hair not only smells good (not like vinegar!) but the texture is much better. It doesn't feel dry, soap-scummy or greasy.

I had to experiment with the correct amounts of essential oils for my head, and I'm still playing around with the proportions, but so far I'm very happy with the results. My hair is looking thicker, silkier and less frizzy than ever. My scalp isn't itchy or flaky (unless I eat foods that cause these symptoms for me). There are no split ends (a first for me, with hair this length). It starts out smooth and then curls into these amazing waves and little riglets at the ends, and sweeps when I move my head. I love it. (So does DH.)

All without shampoo.

It makes me wonder how all these shampoo and conditioner manufacturers convinced us that we really needed those expensive products with a gazillion unpronounceable ingredients.

(BTW, I have noticed that adding a few drops of the same essential oils makes a big difference in my homemade laundry soap, too--it's almost like it homogenizes it and keeps it from separating. I hear EOs can eat away at plastic, though, so I'm wondering if I should store the soap in a glass container when I add the oils.)

Labels: , ,


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you heard of this book? It recommends NOT using shampoo on curly hair

http://product.half.ebay.com/Curly-Girl_W0QQprZ1886539QQtgZinfo

12:28 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

For years I bought all kinds of expensive pomades, shiners and anti-frizz stuff for my thick hair. Then I started using coconut oil to dress it – just a dab spread around on my palms and run through my hair – and stopped washing daily. My hair looks tons better. Amazing how much stuff we are "conditioned" (pun intended) to think we need that we can do just fine without.

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What you've said makes complete sense. And while I'm not sure what the difference is between bar soap and shampoo is, there is a product line that is produced specifically for African Americans that is olive oil based. Olive oil full of all kinds of nurtrients and moisturizers, which I'm sure you are aware of.

The author of "Curly Girl" also recommends using a lavender spray on curly hair, so you're essential oils makes complete sense. I wonder what would happen if you cut out the vinegar rinse and just used EOs with water instead? Th key to curly hair is lots of moisture and I would think the vinegar would strip the OO moisture and the EO's from your hair as well as the soap residue. Just curious what the effect would be.
From one curly haired girl to another I highly recommend reading the book. She is a bit "out there " in her philsophy, but gives great techniques on how to style, wash and cut your curly hair. Also you can check out her website (Deva Concepts) and find locations of those who have been trained by her salon to cut curly hair properly. I recently found one and will never go to anyone else to have my hair cut again. Another great site for finding those who know how to cut curly hair is
NaturallyCurly.com.

I'm glad you've found something that works and you're enjoying beautiful curls! I understand how exciting it can be to see these incredible curls coming from your head!

A who is now back in PA!

4:28 PM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

That is so cool!

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home