Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Call for reader advice--buying mattresses?

We need to buy new mattresses for the kids . . . the ones the older girls have been sleeping on are some my family had when I was a kid, that my parents have let us use. They're getting pretty old and uncomfortable. Baby E is wanting to sleep in a big bed like the older girls, too.

DH and I don't know much about buying new mattresses. I was wondering if anyone had any good tips for buying mattresses--what to look for, where to shop, etc.

############

We want to get the mattresses new, although eventually we'd like to get some nice frames or headboards too, and would be open to getting those used. (We really like the bunkbeds with bookcases in the headboards that can be converted to single beds, and the railing would be nice for the 2yo even if we didn't have it set up as a bunkbed, so I'll be keeping an eye out for something like that in good used condition.) Most likely we're looking at just twin size mattresses for all three girls.

Anyway, I've seen new mattresses at the Goodwill . . . I imagine they are donated from stores that have overstock and don't sell them all, or something like that. Has anyone ever bought one of those?

Does anyone have a particular brand of mattress to recommend that's good quality but not too expensive?

Also, do we need a new box spring too, or would the new top mattress be sufficient? How do I tell if the box spring is wearing out and needs to be replaced?

Another consideration is that I have dust mite allergies, so I'm thinking it might help minimize allergens in the house to just get new box springs too, and put dust mite covers on everything before we use any of the new stuff.

TIA if anyone has any experience to share!

Labels: , ,


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe the ones at the goodwill are made for/by the goodwill. Although my experience only comes from my parents' mattress shopping ventures, they found out quickly that you get what you pay for. So, although I wouldn't take out a second mortgage, I wouldn't get the cheapest mattress you can find, either. And, if you can't test the mattress, don't buy it. I think some stores even offer a few "trial" nights where if you don't like the mattress, you can return/exchange it. The one mattress place I knew to recommend isn't in business anymore. :( --Kathy J.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Rev Dr Mom said...

I would second everything Kathy J said.

If allergies are an issue, I think getting everything new at once and covering it makes sense.

BUT note that bunk beds don't always use box springs, but just have the mattress on slats or a "bunk board". So you might want to think through what you want ultimately.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Don't know if I have any helpful advice to offer. We bought a Tempur-Pedic mattress set when I was pregnant and I'm not sure I could ever go back.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

We got MM's mattress at the nearby mattress warehouse and are pretty happy with it. We got the actual bed from The Room Store (captain's bed. No boxspring)

Test them. Lie down on them. Lie on your stomach, your side, your back. Have your kids lie down on them.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

We got our last mattresses for $99 at the local furniture place... they aren't the BEST out there... but they work great. :) AND we have 3 bunk beds in this house (have to buy everything in three's ACK! And no, no box spring needed. It has boards or whatever to hold the bed up. So we just paid the matress fee

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The floor models or discontinued mattress styles are often quite inexpensive, and good brands. I've slept on beds w/o box springs; they were pretty comfortable.

7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home