Monday, December 17, 2007

The End of MILK?

Well, after my last post, Baby E of course had to prove me wrong.

The next morning, with a little gentle prodding from DH, Baby E decided she wanted the new doll badly enough to forego nursing. DH told her that if she made it through all day that day and the next day with no milk from Mommy, she could have her doll at bedtime the next evening.

It helped, of course, that it was the weekend. DH let me sleep in while he fed the kids breakfast and entertained them. Then he took the kids shopping while I took off for my birthday celebration (a week early to work around holiday schedules).

################

After last year (when I spent my birthday, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Years home alone with one or more sick kids), I decided I should just plan my own party. It was a great party, if I do say so myself. :) I haven't had so much fun in ages.

First I went to see a movie with Morning and Dr. A. We saw Enchanted and enjoyed it a lot. I did wish I hadn't watched so many of the trailers, sneak previews, and clips of the songs on the website, though. Most of the really cute/funny moments were not a surprise to me because of that.

Dr. A had only seen one trailer and Morning knew nothing about the movie before seeing it, and the fun little twists in plot and tongue-in-cheek moments were more unexpected for them.

So, my recommendation is that if you go to see it, don't watch the songs and all the extra material on the website first. :)

Morning bought a big tub of movie theater popcorn and I ate a large portion of it---mmmm. It's been literally years since I had movie theater popcorn. It's so nice to be able to eat pretty much anything I want now.

Morning had to leave after that, so Dr. A and I went shopping for lactose-free pizza (we ended up buying two Amy's soy-cheese pizzas and found some toppings in the deli to add) and some other goodies, then went to pick up JT (my fellow writing major friend, also married to a computer geek) and then back to Dr. A's apartment to eat, visit and play a board game.

We had all the necessary ingredients for a good time: junk food, munchy snacks (including some fresh fruits and veggies), friends, fun, laughter, and of course chocolate.

All in all, it was a fabulous day.

By the time I got home, the kids were already in bed and asleep. So the first day of official weaning was easy. DH said that Baby E only asked for milk once or twice, and quickly changed her mind when he reminded her about the doll. I'm sure it helped that I wasn't there, anyway. :)

Sunday Baby E and I still had colds and Baby E's cough had returned, so DH took the older two girls to church while Baby E and I stayed home. DH had gotten a bunch of cleaning and organizing done the day before (including doing things like installing furniture anchors to stabilize a wobbly bookcase), which was a wonderful surprise. But there was still quite a bit to do to get ready for our Bible study/fellowship group to meet at our home in the afternoon.

Baby E did ask for milk. I told her that she could have milk after breakfast if she wanted it, but reminded her that this would mean she wouldn't get her doll that night. After a little cuddle time and some breakfast, she decided that she would rather have me play a board game with her.

So she taught me how to play "Don't Feed the Gators", a new game DH and the kids had picked up the day before.

"You woll duh dice wike dis and den make duh monkey doh. At duh end he tan eat the food. Yum, yum!

"Don't det it in the owlidattow's mouf, owr it might eat it! The wed monkey tan make duh awwidatow eat it. Yike dis . . . aaah! The monkey is in duh owlidattow's mouf! Oh no! The owlidattow ate my lellow monkey! Aaaah!

"See? Now, I be lellow. What tolowr monkey do you want be, Mommy?"


We played. My monkey got eaten by the alligator, so Baby E won. We both had a blast.

(Is it just me, or is it rather precocious that a not-long-turned-2-year-old can play simple board games [with some coaching and help counting/moving the pieces] and doesn't have difficulty taking turns and understanding the general concept of the game?)

Baby E did ask for milk a few times throughout the day. Each time I told her that she was welcome to have milk if she chose, but that then she wouldn't get her dolly that night. Then I offered her a choice between milk from Mommy, some other food or beverage, or some cuddling/play time with Mommy. Each time she chose to forego the MILK.

Her reflux is definitely worse from drinking so much orange juice, but we are slowly finding other options that she's at least willing to try and that are thick enough not to cause aspiration issues. The suggestions from readers are helpful--keep them coming!

Baby E got her doll last night. She's so thrilled and proud of herself.

The doll is named Muffin. E is adamant that it's a boy. She's really enjoying naming things and giving them their own little personalities right now. Her other favorite doll is Rosie ("Woh-thee") and her stuffed poodle is named Baby Shower ("Baby Tlowuh"). Yes, the dog is named Baby Shower. She got very frustrated with me before I finally deciphered what she was saying on that one. LOL.

Last night after the excitement of home group and lots of cheese crackers, then dinner followed by ice cream, M&M was complaining of her tummy.

After hardly any complaints of her tummy or legs hurting while we had the kids off milk, she's complaining of her tummy frequently again now that we've reintroduced dairy products. After the first few days, AJ flat-out refused to eat anything with milk in it, so I think both girls are probably lactose-intolerant like their mommy. No big surprise there. They seem to do all right with low-lactose or lactose-free dairy products, so I think it's a lactose issue rather than a general milk issue.

In the middle of the night M&M came and climbed into our bed, snuggling down between us. "My tummy really, really hurts," she whimpered. Then she threw up.

I must say, DH and I make a great team in such situations--almost without words we both jump into action. One changes the bed while the other bathes and soothes the child; one fetches a bowl in case of future vomiting while the other weaves a braid to keep hair out of the child's face--yes, we make a good team.

We had several opportunities to practice our great teamwork skills last night--including three changes of bedding and multiple trips down the hallway and stairs. DH ended up staying in the kids' room at the end and letting me go back to bed, which was terribly sweet of him.

M&M seems to be fine this morning, so we may never know what exactly caused the illness. I guess if someone else comes down with it in a day or two we'll know it was a virus. :)

Right now the kids are watching Bob the Builder.

I still haven't figured out the relationship between Bob and Wendy. When I inquired, the kids informed me that Bob and Wendy are married, but they live in different houses. They said that Bob and Wendy used to share a house until Bob built Wendy her own house (pink, with a flower on it) and now they live nearby with a little pathway going between their houses.

"They're husband and wife. Well, I guess maybe they're not husband and wife, but they're partners. They build and fix things together . . . they're partners."

So, can anyone clue me in on this one? Do my kids have it a bit mixed up, or is that the basic story?

Hmmm, I hear Baby E coming, shouting, "MILK! I want milk! Milk!"

We'll see what transpires . . .

Labels: , , ,


4 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Happy Early Birthday! Sounds like a good day :)

We are goign to see Enchanted TODAY!! :)

1:09 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I'm glad Enchanted is good. Adam and I are planning to see it Friday for DATE NIGHT (woohoo!!!).

Sorry to hear about the night of vomiting (yuck) but the other news all sounds good!

11:06 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

I have no idea, but Wikipedia says:
"""
Wendy, who runs the office and keeps the business in order, is his business partner and often organizes tools and equipment. An underlying romantic tension between Bob and Wendy is hinted at in several episodes.
"""

Heather's post on Enchanted cracked me up. :o)

Happy Birthday! :)

12:28 PM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

I hope M&M is all better.

Sounds like you had an otherwise lovely weekend!

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home