Thursday, December 13, 2007

Monkeying Around

sock monkey sweater

I'm trying to create a crochet pattern for a sock monkey sweater.

The first attempt didn't turn out all that well--the hood is too big, the front needs to be a little wider (and it needs buttons of course), the mouth needs work, and I'm not sure I like the eyes. I may try button eyes next time, and a tan and white instead of black and tan yarn.

But I'm liking the general idea if I can get a pattern that really works well. I think I know which parts I need to rework in my next version.

What do you think? Constructive criticism is welcome.

Labels: ,


4 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

I'm just impressed with your abilities. I think you've identified good things to vary.

With the width, it almost looks like a bear to me (a la Fozzie Bear). In fact, if you removed the mouth area, the hood itself could be the mouth and it'll look like the bear has swallowed the baby.

That thought gave me a brief chuckle, though I'm not sure that is a desirable effect. :o)

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sock monkeys have a very vertically-oval head, so if you built up the top of the head (how, I don't know) and then attached the ears more to the side, it would probably look a little more monkey-like. Actually, I think Kevin was on the right track...making the face-hole the mouth of the monkey might work pretty well. It might make shaping the head portion easier. --Kathy J.

4:55 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks for the comments, Kevin and Kathy. I appreciate your input. I think I will try one without the muzzle and see what happens.

8:16 PM  
Blogger MLO said...

That is so cool! I immediately knew it was a sock monkey!

Pax,

MLO

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home