Thursday, May 01, 2008

University

I'm really enjoying my trip--spending time with SisJ, wandering around campus, meeting her friends and attending commencement activities.

It's strange being back at school again so long after being a student. Things are much as I remember them, and yet different.

The students look so young. One of J's teachers took one look at me today and said to J, "This must be your mother." We're less than 2 years apart in age, but J doesn't have gray hair like I do. I look and feel much older than my 31, I know. And yet, in other ways I still feel like I could be a teenager going to college with these kids.

J got all her papers and exams done, and did quite well on them. Now all she has to do is finish reading her Cellular and Molecular Biology book and take the tests for it, and then finish the psychology class she'll be taking in summer school. Lord willing, she'll get her degree in August.

Today we went to the awards ceremony and presentations, and then to the Knowledge Bowl finals and the pre-med banquet. J and I are both really tired, so we're going to bed early. Tomorrow we get to go to Artist's Series (this year they're performing Shakespeare's Henry V) and the commencement concert. Mom, Dad and my youngest sister Sparrow are flying in tonight, so it will be fun to have the whole family together for a few days.

I e-mailed my wonderful creative writing teacher from when I was here in '95-97, and she remembered me from Poetry Writing class! She isn't in her office today or tomorrow, but she told me where she'll be sitting at the commencement concert so I can find her there. I'm looking forward to that.

My other two favorite teachers don't seem to be here any more, but I'm glad that Mrs. J.L.T. is here. It was so nice to see, "Of course I remember you!" in the e-mail from her.

Labels: ,


4 Comments:

Blogger Liz Miller said...

I'm glad you're getting in touch with your teacher!!!

I have a stupid question re: your health. Several people that I know who have similar symptoms to yours have been diagnosed with Lyme. Have you been tested for that?

2:18 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Liz, not a dumb question at all. I actually had a bulls-eye shaped insect bite on my arm as a teen, shortly before the majority of my symptoms started.

They didn't test me for Lyme at the time (apparently it doesn't show up right away), but they did treat me for it "just in case" with some pretty heavy-duty antibiotics. I think the antibiotics actually did some damage to my system.

I've since been tested for Lyme disease and everything came back negative.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

Have you been re-tested?

I know one of the people in this article and several others who all were told at first that their test for Lyme was negative.

I'm glad that you have been able to enjoy this visit to your sister's.

9:49 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Well, I had a whole set of Lyme titers run a year or two ago . . . that's all I really know. I've asked several doctors (including the rheumatologist I just saw) about it and they didn't seem to think any more follow-up was necessary. Lyme disease really is not common in this area, I'm told.

Thanks for the article.

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home