Saturday, July 12, 2008

Gardening

I've been feeling quite a bit better the last few days--it's so nice to have a bit of energy again, and not have to crash early in the day.

The garden has been completely overgrown with weeds. I've been wroking gradually on it over the last week or so, and had cleared out one of the raised beds. Yesterday while the kids played outside, I pulled weeds and put them in a 5-gallon bucket to carry to the compost pile/brush heap. I pulled 20 gallons of buttercups and at least 10 gallons of other assorted weeds.

Now about 1/3 of the garden is clear for planting. I may or may not clear out any more . . . it's a bit late in the season for planting, anyway. I'm going to go and buy some soil amendments and plant starts today. I'm not even sure what's appropriate for planting in mid-July.

Labels:


2 Comments:

Blogger Carolynn from Western Australia said...

PK if you are mainly just looking for colour plantings you can probably get away with planting out some Petunias and Portulaca as they will give you plenty of colour and coverage. With the Petunia's however if you are using seedlings rather than slightly more mature plants if you pinch out the first few flower heads from each plant before they get going it will encourage them to thicken up and flower profusely. I also find after a few weeks they can tend to look a little leggy, this is where you can really get value from them by cutting them back by about 2/3 rds give them a bit of fertilizer and water and away they will go again. What I generally do each year after the Portulaca have finished flowering are are really past their use by dates, as I pull them I give them a really vigourous shake over the flowers beds and you will be surprised as to how many self sown seedlings you will find there next year. Generally when I am putting in seedlings I put a little Blood and Bone with Trace Elements and some slow release fertilizer into each hole, mix it around into the soil and plant followed by a generous watering, I initially water once or twice per day depending on the heat level then once they are established you can get away with watering about every second day as both these plants are pretty drought tolerant. This way you can really ebjoy some lovely colour, the girls can probably help you out too and they are relatively low maintainance which is just what you want. Try them out and sit back and enjoy the display.

Take Care
Lots of Love Carolynn :-)

9:57 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks, carolynn! I'm working on a vegetable garden, but I'll look at petunias for my flower boxes. I'm not sure what portulaca are, but I'll look when I go to the shop to see what they are.

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home