Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Now that's embarrassing

I managed to get myself stranded at a friend's house today. I know my pain and fatigue levels were really high today, but I figured that since they were only about 10-15 minutes' drive away, I'd be able to manage.

The kids had a great time playing with their friends, but I forgot that they also have two cats in the house. Adding the cat allergens on top of the fairly extreme flare-up I was already having was just too much for me.

By the time I realized how bad it was getting, I was past being able to drive. So I tried to stick it out until I felt better, but it just kept getting worse. I tried to hide it as long as I could, but eventually I dissolved into a puddle of tears. Don't you just hate it when pain and fatigue get to the level where you can't think straight and you feel like you're either going to throw up or pass out?

My friend was so sweet. She put me to rest in her bed, sent the kids outside, and said that she really could drive us home or call my husband if I needed her to.

Eventually I felt enough better to be able to drive home, promising my friend that I would call her when I got home (or pull over and call her or DH before then if I was having difficulty driving safely).

The trip home went fine, other than my getting annoyed at a trucker in a fancy semi who apparently thought the road was a hotrod racetrack. He kept riding on my tail, then tried to pass me where there wasn't really room. I cringed and tucked my tail, speeding faster than I felt comfortable with while trying to keep a safe distance between us. Finally I braked to a fast 35 MPH (on a 35MPH road) to fling my minivan around the corner onto our street. He honked at me as he gunned past up the hill. Argh.

Anyway, we made it home OK. For most of the afternoon I let the kids play in the back yard while I rested on the couch nearby. Thankfully we had enough leftovers for dinner, and Ebee took a short nap. DH took over when he got home and let me take it easy.

I'm really hoping the pain levels will settle down enough to let me sleep tonight. I've often been having trouble dozing off before 4 or 5 in the morning this week, because the worse the pain gets the harder it is to sleep--and the less sleep I get, the worse the pain gets. Lovely cycle, there.

As the week wears on, I'm really questioning whether the fun at the beach was really worth it. I'm glad to have done it, but I'm not sure I'd do it again. I'd been feeling a lot better the last couple of weeks, but I guess it's still pretty easy to upset the equilibrium. Grrr.

Sleep well, everyone. I'm heading to bed, and I'm sticking close to home for a while.

Labels: , , , ,


8 Comments:

Blogger Madeleine said...

{{{PK}}}

I hope you had a good night's sleep and are a bit more rested today.

The trade-offs are really hard sometimes.

5:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, PK, I'm sorry that you had such a rough day yesterday. Hope you're feeling better today.

7:08 AM  
Blogger CalvaryGirl said...

(((A))) Feel better soon hon.

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, and after last night's thunder storm and lack of sleep are you totally bad today?
Praying for you.

4:23 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks everyone. Yes, Mom, it's pretty bad today. I was just realizing that the weather and air pressure changes are probably a big part of the reason I feel so awful. Plus no sleep, LOL.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Carolynn from Western Australia said...

PK, you are soooo very lucky to have such wonderful friends and family who look after you and care about you and are willing to help out.

I so hope you are feeling a lot better, I know I definitely am worse when the weather is really bad.

Take Care
Thinking of you often and visit often.
Lots of Love Carolynn xxx :-)

6:13 AM  
Blogger Sparrow said...

Awww, (((hugs))) Glad your friend was so kind. I haven't been doing very well lately, either, but today I got to rest and my pain levels are a little better. I've been crying easy, too. I left church in tears Sunday.

The pain management class I started yesterday is going to help some, I think. I wish you could come. Next week they are going to focus on how to communicate with our doctors and use the Kaiser system fully.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Carolynn from Western Australia said...

Hey What is the Kaiser System? I'd really appreciate an answer as the level of pain meds I'm on is not healthy I'm sure.

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home