Thursday, June 19, 2008

Thankful Thursday 6/19/08

  • I went shopping with Dr. B. tonight, and when we came out of the shop, my car was not where I left it. It was in the middle of the street in front of the store.

    Apparently I either forgot to set the parking brake or didn't set it hard enough. Also, nobody ever told me that you're not supposed to leave a manual transmission car in neutral when you park it. It doesn't have a "park" gear like my van does. (DH normally drives that car, and I'm not very experienced at driving a stick shift.)

    The car rolled out of the parking space, turned just enough to avoid hitting another car, and then stopped in the middle of the street, with room for other cars to go around it.

    It didn't hit anything, though there were other cars and concrete pillars nearby. Really, it should have hit something because of where it was parked and the angle of the slope. There wasn't a scratch on anything except the tire marks on the curb at the side of the parking space, where the curb helped to turn it enough to avoid hitting the other cars nearby. And it stopped before it hit the building.

    We stood there and thanked God aloud in the parking lot.

    I highly doubt that I will ever forget to set the parking brake or to put the car in first gear when parking it again.


Labels: , , , , , ,


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my. Glad all is well.

-Madeleine

4:11 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

You're not supposed to leave the car in neutral? What are you supposed to do with it? I've always left my car parked in neutral.

3:19 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks, Madeleine.

Amy, I'm told that if you leave it in gear, it's not as likely to roll. We tried pushing the car when it was parked in neutral, and it was scary how easily it rolled.

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home