Thursday, January 01, 2009

2008 went out with a bang

It's been a very interesting few weeks. We had a snow and ice storm that pretty much kept us home except for emergencies. DH and the kids made a delicious double chocolate cake on my birthday, and my family sent flowers.

For Christmas, I made matching nightgowns for the girls and their dolls. After an initial tantrum from Ebee saying that she "hated" her nightgown and was "scared of it because it has mean ladybugs on it" (fabric she had picked out), things settled down and all three girls have been wanting to wear their nightgowns all the time. I might have to make them each a second set just so they'll let us have them long enough to launder them.

A highlight of the season was seeing the girls act out the Lord's birthday story with their wooden nativity set as DH read aloud from the Bible. We had a cozy holiday time together as a family.

The not-cozy parts were Snowflake's tail getting badly injured (someone--either canine or child--apparently grabbed it through the wire of the cage) and then getting her to the vet in the snowstorm (she is going to be OK, though she'll have a shorter and funny-looking tail), the branch which crashed through our roof (and is still sticking out of the ceiling as I type), and the days-long excruciating pain in my head which canceled our New Year's festivities and took me to the Urgent Care Clinic, where the diagnosis was a badly inflamed TMJ problem.

The bunnies have been relocated to the garage, where they have more space and will be safer, the branch is at least so tightly wedged in that it's not letting rain through, and my jaw is finally starting to feel better (which is a good thing, since I had an allergic reaction to one of the pain and/or anti-inflammatory medicines the doctor had me taking to try to control the pain).

We had a lovely time with DH's family on Monday, after the family Christmas party was rescheduled because of the weather. Today, we're grieving with our nephew and his wife and family as they mourn the loss of their unborn baby, the one we chatted happily about just a few days ago.

A couple of slightly newsworthy things to note:

A couple of days after getting the bunnies, we traded Bun-Bun the girl back to the breeder for her brother with the same coloring, who is now Bun-Bun the boy. The primary reason for this was finding out that it costs about 10 times as much to get a female rabbit spayed as it does to get a boy neutered.

The bunnies are completely charming, and amazingly enough Snowflake is still friendly and bold even after suffering through a tail injury and daily treatments. Gingersnap is quite the character--we were joking today that we should have named him Socks, because he likes to follow me around and nibble on my socks. Bun-Bun the boy is apparently older than the other two (and older than we were told) and is still a little shy, but we're hoping he will relax and warm up to us soon.

Mira and I had our first session with the trainer from the owner-trained service dog program. Initially she had said she wasn't sure if she would accept us or not, but would work with us for a month (or 4 sessions) before deciding for sure. But after our initial evaluation and then our session working on public access skills at a mall, she said that she had decided she would like to work with us. She thinks we show real potential as a team. So that's exciting! Of course, there's still no guarantee that we will be able to complete the program and pass all the tests, but for now we're in.

AJ, MM and Ebee have been having great fun playing with their dolls and their new toys, and have mostly been playing well together. This coming week the challenge will be getting back into a routine with our homeschooling after taking some time off for the holidays.

In the past few weeks, I've found myself increasingly thankful that we are all together, safe, and warm. Our needs are being provided for, and more. I'm thankful that we are held in the hollow of the hand of the One who knows the number of hairs on our heads, and doesn't miss the fall of a sparrow.

May 2009 be a full, peaceful, healthy, joy-filled and blessed year for all.

Labels: ,


2 Comments:

Blogger Madeleine said...

Happy new year, PK!

I wish you everything wonderful for 2009.

12:57 PM  
Blogger CalvaryGirl said...

So glad to hear an update! I was starting to get worried. You know when I broke my nose, and went to check my jaw, when the "pop" it always makes, made the sound- I thought that doctor's eyes were going to pop out of their sockets! What kind of pain were you having with your head, that was due to the TMJ? I just wonder cause I have issues with frequent headaches / migraines (at times, if I am not able to discern a "regular" headache from an "impending" migraine.

I'm so sorry to hear about your nephew, his wife and family. They'll be in my prayers.

I'm glad y'all had a great Christmas! Ours went well. I woke up Friday (day after Cmas) with strep throat :o/ My kids left for AL (from NC) with MIL last Sunday and are on their way home right now. Jackson turned ten years old today! I posted more about it on my blog.

Happy New Year!

Wendy
My Blog

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home