Thursday, July 07, 2011

At a Blogging Crossroads

I haven't blogged much recently. Part of that is because my energy levels and mental liveliness have been so low lately. I have come to the blog numerous times only to open a new post, stare blankly at the screen wondering what to write about, and then decide I'm too tired and give up.

Another part has been that it often seems redundant. I have a Facebook account now, and post status updates and links fairly frequently.

But I miss the blog. I have spent quite a bit of time recently going back and re-reading old blog posts, often laughing at my kids' antics or shaking my head at the craziness of life. I like having those moments chronicled here, where I can go back and read them easily.

It's very interesting to see the change and growth that has taken place since I first started blogging.

(click below to continue reading)

###############################

I first started keeping a blog on Xanga in July 2004, almost exactly 7 years ago.

It started out as very much a personal journal, read by only a few family and friends.

Then, especially when I was having to take it easy and spend time on bedrest during my pregnancy with Ebee, I became very interested and active in political and social issues, especially Terri Schiavo. For a long time, my blog was basically about that. I gained some regular readers who were also highly involved in discussing and researching that and similar topics.

When I switched to Blogger in May 2005, I was pregnant with Ebee, and my posts became more eclectic again.

I actually started getting involved in the blogosphere, on blogs that were more personal blogs and not geared toward discussion and debate of specific issues. I had some trial and error learning blogging etiquette, and committed some rather huge social faux pas such as posting links to my own blog in comments on someone else's blog, and posting comments vehemently disagreeing with a post the author hadn't intended as an opening to a discussion or debate. :) I've learned a lot over the years, I hope.

My blog became mostly a chronicle of our daily life--cute things the kids said, our struggles with life, kids and health issues, and just random stuff.

While Ebee was young, I wrote most of my posts while she was nursing. Once she was weaned and I no longer had that excuse to sit at the computer so often, and especially after we added the rabbits and some other new activities to our lives, my blogging dropped off significantly.

I did start a food blog called Restricted Gourmet to stash all my recipes on. That's been fun. And, there are a couple of other blogs I've contributed to occasionally as one of multiple authors.

Here on the Purple Puzzle Place, I've written a bit about parenting, a bit about political issues, a few posts that were book or product reviews, and a few updates on daily life. There hasn't really been any consistent theme or consistent anything, really. :)

In the past year or more, I've posted very little. I'd like to get back to writing more. I feel I've gotten rusty, and I miss it. But I'm not sure what to write about, and finding the time and energy is always a challenge. I'm a little afraid I've lost my mental edge, my way with words, and my sense of humor. :)

I'm also not sure what to write about. It seems most of my writing energy gets used up by posting on Facebook and online communities I participate in, and then anything I think to write about is redundant because I've already posted about it elsewhere. Facebook updates are perfect for chronicling those cute and funny things the kids say. But they are much harder to go back to and read again later.

I've thought about dropping the blog completely, but I'm not sure I'm ready to do that. I think maybe I'd like to start up with it again; give it another try. Maybe if I start blogging regularly, I'll find my groove and the creative juices will get flowing again.

I think there are about 3 or 4 faithful readers who still actually have me in their newsfeed; I'm grateful for the undeserved loyalty from these precious people.

I'm curious: If I were to start blogging regularly again, what sorts of things would you particularly enjoy reading about? Do you have any favorite posts or types of posts from the past that come to mind, that you'd enjoy reading more of?

Labels: ,


6 Comments:

Blogger Liz Miller said...

You know I'm still here!

I'd like to have an update on your family's food issues.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

I like the eclectic mix. I never know what I'm going to get here but it is always thoughtful and meaningful to you which makes it interesting to me.

The blog netiquette you mention is news to me. e.g. Why allow comments if you don't want to discuss things? Even now that I know I'll probably still faux pas 'cause I just don't get it.

I should check-in on Facebook more often. Your blog actually tiggers me to do that sometimes.

I do like all the precious moments with the kids, what with my living vicariously and all. I also agree with Liz.

11:02 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks, Liz and Kevin. You have been such faithful readers and good friends, even though we interact mostly or solely online.

Liz, I will work on a post about that . . . thanks for the request. :)

Kevin, to people like you and me there's almost no such thing as a post or comment that's not open for discussion and intended as a conversation-starter. I love sharpening my mind and having it sharpened by vigorous discussion and even debate. You're always welcome to do that here, but I do request that people at least choose a username and stick to it rather than posting anonymously, in most cases. :)

Even so, though, there are some things that seem inappropriate even to me. For instance, one of my friends recently posted that she was planning to get dreadlocks, and someone anonymously posted a comment saying something along the line of that they thought dreadlocks were a sign of rebellion and a bad attitude, that they looked nasty and unprofessional, and that they would never hire someone who looked like a rat crawled up on their head and rooted around in their hair. It was a post sharing her excitement about her change in hairstyle, not inviting people to debate it.

I have noticed that my old blogroll is no longer working, and I'm not sure I remember how to get into any of my blog-reading accounts. What is everyone using for blog tracking/reading these days?

11:22 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Ah, yes, I can see how dissing someone's hairstyle and shriveling their excitement would be a no-no.

I still use the RSS reader in Opera (my primary web browser) but there are a number of things I'd improve about it so I probably wouldn't recommend it. I'd like to check out a few open source rss readers along with Google Reader when I find the time. Firefox also has some plugins. I'll let you know if I find something good.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Deven said...

I like the eclectic mix. One topic that really helped me understand some of my family members with chronic conditions was reading about your health and how you're feeling and coping/thriving.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I'm a bit behind the times, but eclectic works for me! :)

I subscribe to blogs through Google and just have them all on my iGoogle homepage.

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home