Sunday, August 21, 2005

Sunday--sleep-deprived but surviving

Well, between the girls and Baby E waking up, Baby E having a long fussy spell, etc. I got to sleep around 4:30 a.m. last night. The kids were up for the day around 7.

I was really happy that I managed to get us all up, bathed, dressed, fed and into the van in time to get to church. I'd planned to get there early and didn't quite manage that, but did make it in time for the service. Since last week was family camp, it was the first time most people had gotten to see Baby E. We ended up staying and visiting for quite a while afterwards.

A number of people asked me to let them know if I needed anything, or what they could do to help. I never know what to answer to that question, especially when it's not someone I know particularly well. I don't know how much they were really meaning to offer or what they would be comfortable doing. Besides, in my current state of sleep deprivation and postpartum brainlessness, I can never think of what I need or what would be helpful anyway.

It would be so much easier if people would offer something specific they are comfortable doing, like telling me they would like to bring us a meal, mow the lawn, go grocery shopping, vaccuum or mop, babysit, etc. Or even just set up a specific time to come over and let me know how much time and energy they are able to spend so I can come up with something that fits their level of availablity and committment. As it is, I usually end up just thanking them and that's the end of it.

My MIL came over again this afternoon. She held the baby and entertained the girls while I took a long nap, which I desperately needed, and she did some more laundry. The girls have been regressing and having lots of potty accidents, so we're generating lots of laundry these days.

Bedtime was much easier today. After MIL left I had the girls get their pajamas on and the four of us cuddled on the couch and watched part of a Shirley Temple movie. The girls enjoyed that and I told them that if they got into bed and went to sleep quickly, we'd get to watch the rest tomorrow night. Baby E fussed a bit but I laid her in the pack-n-play anyway while I put the girls to bed. Now all three girls are asleep and I'm going to bed too.

I've had very little time at the computer and haven't had a chance to respond to everyone's comments, but I am reading them and greatly appreciate them. Thank you!