Sunday, August 14, 2005

Eleventy-One Things About Me, 29-30

29. My heritage is European. Mostly Moravian (Czechoslovakian) on my dad's side and mostly Scotch-Irish on my Mom's side, with some English, Dutch and Welch thrown in too.

Supposedly my Mom's ancestors came over on the second Mayflower trip, and one of Dad's ancestors was a Bohemian prince who ran away with the milkmaid and escaped to Nebraska.

Moravians were some of the first Protestant Christian martyrs, so I treasure having people of that steel in my background--the type who were willing to accept death rather than deny their faith.


30. My first name is Angela.

Since my DH gave it away when he posted the labor update and birth announcement for me (and since I hadn't tried that hard to hide it anyway) I figured I may as well post it.

I was extremely touched and impressed that all you bloggy friends out there continued to refer to me by my "anonymous" purple_kangaroo nickname even in replying to my DH's post referring to me as Angela. Just one more little thing I appreciate about you fellow bloggers--you all respected the line I had drawn about using my name even though DH slipped up and used it. If I had decided to go back and edit DH's post to take my name out, your replies would have allowed me to do that. Thank you.

Anyway, you can stop pretending you didn't see it now. :)

Angela means Angel or Heavenly Messenger. My middle name means Joy, so my name means Heavenly Messenger of Joy. I've always liked that, and hope to be the kind of person who brings joy and encouragement to those around me.

7 Comments:

Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

Heavenly Messenger of Joy is a gorgeous name. Hi, Angela. :) Yes, when your husband posted your name, I gasped a little. I even said to my husband, "A blogger's husband posted for her on her blog and called her by her real name!" I guess I was warning my husband not to do that? I don't know... Anyhow, yeah, I was pretending a didn't see it. :)

5:20 AM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

Me too.

Beautiful name. Beautiful meaning.

6:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moravians were some of the first Christian martyrs

Moravians may have been some of the first Protestant martyrs, but I think they were about 1500 years too late to be the first Christian martyrs. :)

Mark

10:17 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Inspiring name, and fascinating heritage.

I *really* wish I could say I was consciously being respectful, but sadly, for some strange reason, it didn't even occur to me that you were hiding your first name, or that DH had let it slip. I'm glad I'm not the one who goofed. :)

Of course, it all makes sense now. I'll try to be more attentive if the need ever arises.

11:57 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

1B* and Liz, thanks. I was a bit shocked myself (would have thought he'd have known better), but at least he called Baby E by her moniker. :)

Mark, you're right. The Moravian Christian martyrs were protestants that were heavily persecuted and nearly wiped out by the Catholic church. I misspoke; thanks for catching that.

Czechoslovakian reformer John Hus was martryed in 1415 and by the early 1500s all the Reformers in that part of the world were being tortured and killed.

Kevin, I would think the usage of my name would be easy to miss since you already knew my name so it didn't stand out to you. :)

10:35 PM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

I had wondered the same thing when I saw your name revealed. But, I'm glad you are open with it all now. And I love the prince and the milkmaid tale :)

6:07 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

My old xanga blog has my name on it anyway, and since I link to it from here it's never really been a big secret. But someone has to dig a little to find it.

I kind of like it that way . . . available to people who actually read and explore my blog, but not immediately apparent to a random browser just passing through.

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home