Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Search Engine Puzzler

At least once a day, I get a referral from someone typing the words puzzle place or the puzzle place into MSN's search engine. My blog is the top result on MSN search for that phrase.

I thought it might be the same person--someone who was a regular reader on my blog but somehow hadn't figured out or didn't care to use browser bookmarks, bloglines or the e-mail subscription to my newsgroup. But it wasn't--it was people from a wide variety of places. I was curious what they were looking for originally. They all couldn't have been actually looking for my blog.

So I looked today and discovered that The Puzzle Place was a children's television program put out by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting in 1994-98 with the goal of fostering diversity by using "puppet characters from diverse backgrounds" to "demonstrate how people can get along without giving up their own identities." Here's the Wikipedia article about it. Apparently the show must have had a following. It gets mixed, but mostly good, reviews on epinions.com. There seem to be quite a few eBay auctions listed for Puzzle Place-related items, too.

I never saw the show, but hey--at least now there's a link to info. about it on my blog for those who come here looking for it. :)

I get quite a few hits from the phrase "purple puzzle tree" as well, but that was easy for me to figure out. The Purple Puzzle Tree is a series of children's books and audio that we had when I was a kid, and which inspired the name of my blog. They made Bible stories fascinating and exciting in a way nothing else ever quite matched.

Apparently I'm not the only person with fond memories of them: I've just discovered that the author, Norman Habel, actually has a website and they are being reprinted. The site has a page where you can preview the books and audio, and they are very much as I remember them. I wonder if my mom still has the set of books and the records that went with them?

The one I remember most was the story of Abraham burying his treasure under a tree and wrestling with God, and that one isn't available yet. Altogether there are 6 sets, each with 6 books telling various Bible stories for a total of 36 stories from Creation to Pentecost. The sound effects and the wonderful variation of voices and onomatopoeia Mr. Habel uses really make these stories stand out.

I really want to get the set for my kids, but they're a bit spendy (although I think it's a good price for what you get). Maybe I'll talk to DH about making that our Thankgiving/Christmas gift to the kids this year. There isn't a link to purchase them on the website, though . . . I'll have to see what I can find out. It looks like the first set of 6 was republished in 2002 and there haven't been more since.

5 Comments:

Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

That is interesting. How do you find out those results? I mean of how many people did a search for those names?

5:03 PM  
Blogger Megin said...

My younger sibs were fans of The Puzzle Place, so I ended up watching more than one episode. Cute show, but not as much fun as your blog!

6:41 PM  
Blogger Sparrow said...

I think we do still have those Purple Puzzle Tree books and records. We should drag those out when the girls are over sometime!

8:50 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

I remember that show! My 10 year old used to watch it occasionally. (Never when Blue's Clues was on, of course!) It was a very well rounded show. I can think of worse things for you to be associated with. ;)

I'm on the book fair committee for my boys' school. I'll see if I can get some info on those books for you. We get a 20% discount off of list price, too! I'll let you know if they are available through our distributor.

7:01 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Shelley, I get the stats on who is visiting from where and what search terms they used to find me from the counter. If you scroll down to the bottom of my blog, you'll see that I have two--cqcounter and sitemeter. Both give slightly different information. A counter is a fun addition to your blog.

Thanks, kibitzingshiksa, amy and dani. I am looking forward to what I can find out about the tapes, or whether I can get the old records to work somehow.

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home