Saturday, November 19, 2005

And no running with sticks, either.

Elliot Meacham (new to the commenters here at Purple Puzzle Place--welcome, Elliot!) has an interesting post today regarding this year's WATCH (World Against Toys Causing Harm) list of the top ten most dangerous toys. You can click on the photo gallery in the news article for photos and more info. about each of the toys mentioned.

I must say, I found the list for the most part--well, laughable. For example:

"W.A.T.C.H. also said The Lord of the Rings - Return of the King Uruk-Hai Crossbow set, which catapults arrows at high velocity, is dangerous because of its potential to cause eye injuries."

Oh, wow! You don't mean to tell me a toy crossbow that really works could cause an eye injury???? Oh, no! I never would have imagined that. Better stick to my good old-fashioned slingshot. Much safer. Yeah.



Any parent foolhardy enough to give a toy like that to a child without careful and strictly-enforced instruction not to fire it into people's faces, and to keep it away from kids not mature enough to handle it, deserves to be shot with a paintball gun--which is also on the list "because of its potential for eye, face and other impact injuries."

There is at least one toy on the list that doesn't have a blatantly obvious, common-sense danger:

"Animal Alley Ponies, distributed by Toys R Us, can cause ingestion injuries, W.A.T.C.H. said. The soft, colorful ponies aimed at infants have long, fiberlike hair that can be hazardous."

That one I can understand because--well--I made that mistake as a new parent. Nobody told me it was a bad idea to give long-haired toys to babies. Since this toy is marketed to infants it probably does deserve a mention. Hopefully, though, most parents would quickly realize (as I did) that any toy which sheds copious amounts of long hair when Baby touches or mouths it belongs on a shelf far away from the baby.

In my mind, the Why would they even MAKE a toy like that? And who would buy it? award goes to this toy:"Geospace International's 38" Air Kicks Kickaroos Anti-Gravity Boots, which fit over shoes and help children bounce around, also made the list. The manufacturer instructs users to "always remain in control of your motions," but that directive is unrealistic, W.A.T.C.H. said, citing the toy's potential for head or other impact injuries."

That Flubber movie where the basketball players all put flubber on their shoes looks like fun, sure. But why would I buy my kids shoes that do something like that?? They have a hard enough time controlling the bouncing force created by their own muscles--especially when sofa springs or stairs are involved.

My kids can bounce around and hurt themselves just fine without extra help, thank you very much.

9 Comments:

Blogger Sparrow said...

Hehehe, yeah...

3:04 PM  
Blogger Douglas said...

Regarding the trampoline shoes, a local company near us used to manufacture shoes like that growing up. I always had wanted a pair. Obviously, a kid should be somewhat coordinated when using them, but I don't see how they are any more dangerous than a pogo stick.

4:46 PM  
Blogger ccw said...

Thanks for pointing out the dangers of a crossbow to me. I was planning to buy both girls one for Christmas....LOL

This is a great list.

7:04 AM  
Blogger Douglas said...

http://www.extextoys.com/moonshoes1.html

Here's a link to buy the moon shoes that I referred to earlier as being designed by a local dude.

Doug

10:35 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Hi, Amy. :)

Doug, I might feel differently about bouncy shoes if my kids were older and had better control of their body movements. But at this age that's not something I would be buying them. They do look interesting though.

My point, though, was that the possible dangers of such a toy seem pretty self-obvious to me.

CCW, you could just go for the Uruk-Hai costumes . . . :)

11:13 AM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

Ashamed to say I actually bought the boots for my nephew who had been clamoring for a trampoline. My sister returned them, though, because they DON'T WORK ON GRASS. CONCRETE ONLY, BABY!!!!


Whooof.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Douglas said...

Angela,

They definitely aren't for little kids. I never meant to imply that. I just think they are one of the coolest toys out there. No batteries. Lots of exercise. Very portable. What more could a parent of a 10 year old ask for?

8:54 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Liz and Doug, do you know if those shoes are easier to control than the concept sounds to me? LOL. I'm becoming convince-able that they might not be that crazy an idea for older kids. Although, Liz, using them on concrete means you'd want to make sure they're controll-able, huh?

9:08 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

Hmmm... my 10 year old is very hard to buy for. These sound like something he'd LOVE. With a helmet, knee and elbow pads, of course. ;)

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home