Thursday, March 30, 2006

Interview Meme

I've "met" quite a few people through blogging that I don't know in real life. It's fun to meet new people in this way. Many of the people on my blogroll are people who differ significantly from me in philosphy and lifestyle, and others are people with whom I have a lot in common. I have at least something in common with each of them, even if it be only a love of words or the parenting of small children, and I feel I learn something from all of them.

One of the people I've most enjoyed getting to know through our blogs, e-mails and telephone conversations is Running2Ks of True-Blue Semi-Crunchy Mama. I appreciate her positive outlook on life, enthusiasm and friendliness.

She's hanging up her blogging hat to focus on other writing and on real life, so this post is sort of my goodbye post to her. I'll definitely miss her blog and her visits here.

Best wishes to you, R2Ks!

Back in September 2005, Running2Ks did an interview meme, and I volunteered to be interviewed. It took me this long to answer the questions because, well, I'm a terrible procrastinator and some of these questions are hard.

If any readers would like me to interview you, just say so in the comments and I'll come up with some questions to ask you.


Here are R2K's questions and my answers:

##################

Purple, you inspiring mama, here are your questions (just link back here whenever you finish them):

1. You homeschool, and I know that you dress for teaching. Do you follow a curriculum, formality, structure, or do you plan to unschool?


We are being pretty flexible this year, especially with the kids being so young and adding a new baby to the family. We do projects and workbooks, but largely just take the learning opportunities as they come. A lot of our learning happens in the car and over the dinner table as we have conversations and practice skills. We do lots of crafts, and the kids enjoy working in workbooks and learning through music. We also read lots of books.

Next year I do plan to be more structured. I probably won't be involved in any other committments during the day so that I can focus on the kids' schooling. We'll have lesson plans that will include a combination of textbooks/workbooks along with lots of stories, hands-on activities, field trips, and student-led learning.

The approach my mom took with my sisters and me, and that I plan to take with my kids, is to have a somewhat flexible but structured approach. We'll probably have regular school hours with curriculum that can be tailored to each child's learning styles and needs while making sure all the important subject areas are covered.

I doubt we'll ever pick a particular curriculum line to use exclusively; I like being able to put together a variety of materials to meet our needs and each child's learning style and interests.

2. What is your greatest wish for yourself now? And when the children are grown and you “retire”?

Talk about a deep philosophical question. I guess I'd say my wish, both now and in the future, is to have balance and peace in my life, and to be effective in fulfilling the tasks at hand. To have my life be significant in some small way. To fulfill my purpose, I guess. Above all to please the Lord and draw continually closer to Him, and to draw others toward a richer life in Him.

3. As I said before, I’m a big fan of lottery questions, so if you won a big lottery (more than paying off bills and debt; like, you can retire on this money), what would you do?

I'd let DH quit his job if he wanted to, and we'd probably travel and be involved in some kind of ministry. To me, the biggest advantage would be more time together as a family.

4. If you took the family to another country for a homeschooling vacation, where would you go and what would you study?

Well, we did just go to Mexico. I love it there and would enjoy going again any time. When the kids are older I'd love to take a trip like I got to do as a young adult, traveling around to visit missionaries and local families, see the places where my Dad grew up, and learn the language and culture.

I'd also love to go to Israel and study the places mentioned in the Bible, and to go to Europe (specifically England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, The Netherlands, and Czechoslovakia) to learn more about where my ancestors came from and who they were.

Can I list every place in the world? We have family all over the place, and someday I hope to visit some of them in places like Kuwait, Indonesia, China and Sri Lanka.

5. If you could time-travel back to your teenage years, what would you tell yourself?

What a hard question. I really don't know. Maybe a reminder to relish life and to work on developing important life skills like organization. That progress is more important than perfection. To keep up the good work, and continue pursuing God and the truly important things.

You still have a lot of growing and learning to do, but you're on the right path. Don't get discouraged. You are loved so much more even than you understand. That sort of thing. The same things I'll probably tell my kids when they're that age.

18 Comments:

Blogger ccw said...

Great interview!

I do miss R2K's blog.

6:36 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

PK,
I love your devotion to motherhood; it's apparent in all you say and do, and that's awesome :)

As to this interview thing...how exactly does it work? lol...I'm so NEW to this, it's embarrassing! I'd love to have you interview me!

8:52 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks, CCW and Mommyham.

The way the interview works is this:

You tell me you'd like to be interviewed, and I'll post some questions for you in this thread. You copy and paste the questions and answer them, linking back here in the post. Then you post here again giving a link to your answers, so we can all go read them.

I'll think up some questions and post them for you soon.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

ok, so lemme get this straight, bear with me!

So, I answer this at my blog, and link to yours in the title of my answer post? Or in the text within the post - isn't that what you did here?

Then, I post on your blog, here with the link to my blog? I post where, here in the comments? LOL, I told you I'm embarrassingly new to this, right?

11:19 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Yep, you got it. Just link in the body of the post (I never use the title link thing anyway) and then leave a link here in the comments under this post when you're done.

It's fun to follow the thread of links back through different blogs and read everyone's questions and answers.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Becci said...

This is kind of off the subject but when you guys come on Sunday I was wondering if your DH has any books on the Catholic Church that he could loan me... I am talking to a girl who has some major questions and thought I could help her go through the bible but I feel a bit overwhelmed with it. Thanks!

6:24 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Mommyham, here are your questions:

1. What was one of your favorite pastimes when you were a kid? (I'm thinking age 10-12 or so, but that can be flexible.)

2. I know you're new to blogging. What influenced you to start a blog, and what do you hope for out of it?

3. What's a favorite and least favorite thing about being a parent?

4. If you could buy one luxury item for yourself, a real splurge, what would it be and why?

(stealing from one of the questions R2Ks asked me)
5. If you could take a trip anywhere, where would you go and what would you do?

11:09 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

miraclebaby, I'll e-mail you about that. Thanks!

11:09 PM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

I love your answers.

I miss R2Ks.

4:33 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Ok, I think I did this right!
http://redheaded-step-child.blogspot.com/2006/04/my-first-meme-interview.html
for my answers - thanks PK!

BTW, your word verifications are getting longer - does that mean you're getting spammers even w/a short wv?

12:10 AM  
Blogger Sparrow said...

Fun interveiw! :-)

7:14 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Ok I will bite and take it... It will be on my blog in about 1 hour :) Thanks PK :)

12:48 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Oh... wait... I guess you should give me my own questions huh? LOL Sorry that missing hour is effecting me ;)

1:01 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks, Amy.

Great, Heather! I'll come up with some questions for you tomorrow, OK?

12:01 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Heather, sorry it took me so long.

Here are your questions:

1. You mentioned on your blog that you are homeschooling. What were your reasons for this decision, and what schooling approach are you taking so far?

2. If you could have any job (salary, education and childcare not being issues--maybe if your children were grown), what would you want to do?

3. I know your kids are reading early and love books. Are you a book-lover yourself? What are some of your favorites now, and as a kid?

4. You've been very involved in various online communities, I believe (I just realized recently that you are someone I know from another place, LOL). Now you're blogging too. How do you balance internet time with real-life responsibilities? Any great time-management tips to share, LOL?

5. Your husband is in the military, right? Is that something that happened before or after you met? How did you two meet?

OK, maybe that's more than 5 questions. Sorry!

2:36 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Alrighty.. I will answer tonight!

3:17 PM  
Blogger High Power Rocketry said...

I am R2K

9:03 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

LOL, Alex . . . this R2Ks stands for Running2K(id)s

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home