Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Tree TV



Who knew that standing around watching two guys cut down a tree would be such scintillating entertainment, capable of whiling away an entire midmorning and afternoon?

FMW didn't end up coming over today, so tree-watching was the order of the day.

###############

I would highly recommend this tree company, Tree Works NW. They seemed extremely competent, safety-conscious and professional. The men worked hard and were organized and tidy in the way they went about the task. I didn't hear a cross word between the two guys (or toward the tree!) all day, even though they kept up a chatter at a volume to be heard through ear plugs and above the chipping machine.

They were friendly and went out of their way to find out how I wanted things done and do the job to my satisfaction, even though I wanted a couple of things done differently than was their standard (such as saving some of the bigger branches as well as the main logs for firewood).

The arborist who came out to do the free tree inspection and bid a few weeks ago was the same one who came to work today. He seemed to really like my kids (has several of his own) and goes to church with my grandparents. He and the guy helping him both seemed very nice.

Plus, this company charged about half the price of the other bids we got.

All three kids and myself were practically glued to the windows watching them work.

I told the arborist, "Wow, you guys are better than TV!"

He laughed, "Better than TV?! Anything's better than TV . . . that's no compliment!"

I could have said it was almost as good as going to the zoo instead, but I wasn't sure they'd take that as a compliment, either.

4 Comments:

Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Our extended family is "woodsy" . . . my grandparents' and parents' generations on both sides of the family include lots of current and former loggers, as well as woodworkers.

My involvement is pretty much limited to kind of knowing how to use an axe and a saw, and attending the logging festivals to watch family members compete. I love it, though!

I've watched lots of trees being felled and cut up, but it's more interesting when there are houses and fences very close by that they have to avoid hitting with falling limbs.

9:57 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

BTW, Michelle . . . your comments are always fun to read. Have you thought about starting a blog?

9:59 AM  
Blogger Sparrow said...

Hehehe, gotta love the last paragraph. :-p Glad things went well today! :-)

3:10 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

How funny; we just recently had a tree removed in front of our house. Same thing. The kids (and I) were glued to the windows the whole entire time.

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home