Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Ahhh . . . peace and quiet.

DH came home from work this afternoon to watch the kids so I could take the van to the dentist. His car should be done getting fixed tomorrow--it ended up taking longer because they found another part that needed to be replaced.

With DH's new dental insurance, we have better coverage for more dental offices, so I was able to switch to the dentist my parents and sisters use. The dentist seemed very nice and took plenty of time to answer all my questions without making me feel rushed at all. He's the youngest of two sons that work with their father in this family dental practice. The hygienist turned out to know DH's brother's family in Africa, and is one of their supporters. It was fun to find that out.

Apparently I need five fillings, even though I brush and floss pretty well. I'm thinking I need to be getting more calcium in my diet. Hopefully these fillings will go more smoothly than my last set. I may get them all done at once to get it over with. I just have to decide whether to get the silver amalgam fillings or pay extra (a lot extra!) for the white ones.

Baby E's sleep schedule has gotten messed up because of the fireworks the last few nights waking her up, and because we had to wake her up every few hours Sunday night after she fell off the changing table and landed on her head. Even though DH had a hand on her, she managed to launch herself off when he turned to tell one of the other girls to get back into bed. He was able to break her fall, and she ended up being fine, but we had quite a scare and were worried for a while there.

She skipped her nap this morning, but when I got home DH said she'd been asleep for about 30 minutes. The older girls are having quiet time, too.

I'm afraid that if I try to take a nap I'll be groggy for the rest of the day, so I'm going to rest and write a blog entry and then spend some time reading and having devotional time before the kids get up. I need the extra mental/spiritual strength more than a nap right now, anyway. Besides, I slept for something like 18 hours yesterday, so I don't think lack of sleep is my problem.

I do have a little more energy this afternoon, and I called to ask my naturopath about getting a Bowen treatment. That seems to be a lot more effective more quickly than this physical therapy is so far.

I'm also going to see if I can make an appointment with the Physician's Assistant I saw after the car accident. I'm wondering if he'll want to x-ray the one spot in my middle back where I'm still having a sharp, localized pain directly over the spine. We talked about X-raying it earlier, but it didn't seem severe enough to warrant that. He said it should get better over the next few days, and if not to give him a call. So I'm off to make that call while the house is quiet.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dani said...

"DH came home from work this afternoon to watch the kids so I could take the van to the dentist."

Okay... I read that line and was thinking, "Why the heck does she need to take her van to a dentist? I bring mine to a mechanic!" LOL!!!

My vote... white fillings! If you aren't in any great amount of pain with the cavities you have or they are on the smallish side and can wait until you save up a bit for them... do it. Health issues aside in regards to the amalgam, the white just look and feel better.

Way before anyone was saying anything about mercury in fillings (That I heard of, anyway. In 1998 or so.) I went to the dentist complaining of a metallic taste in my mouth. It always tasted like I was chewing on a piece of tin foil. I only had two fillings at that point, but they were amalgam. The dentist drilled them out and replaced them with the white (porcelain?) and I never had the taste again. I only needed to replace one of them this year (because the cavity worsened) and the other is holding strong at 8 years old and counting. I highly recommend them.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Gel said...

That's a lot of fillings. Ouch.
Also reading about pain near your spine. I'm worried.
Sending warm wishes.

5:18 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Dani, that's hilarious! You made me laugh aloud.

Thanks, GEL. My appointment did get moved forward about a week due to a cancellation, so that's good. I plan to discuss the back pain with my physical therapist in the morning and then will decide after that whether to try to get in to a doctor sooner or not.

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home