Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Unbelievable! "Museum Quality"



I e-mailed Roberto Cavalli customer care in New York last night and got a reply back already. They're sending the photos to Italy and will get back to me shortly with more info. such as the year the garment was made.

Meanwhile, they said this [sic]:

You own a real treasure , it's a magnificent piece of history of fashion, a museum quality garment. During the past years five Roberto Cavalli 's garments have been acquired by the prestigious Metropolitan Museum of New York for the permanent collection of the Costume Institute.So .. hold on to it ... it's pretty valuable !

I guess my instincts were right on when I said: "Seriously, it's the type of item I would have expected to get a chance to see nowhere but in a museum in the course of my life."

I've been talking to clothing collectors and dealers, and the lowest guess I've gotten so far of its possible value is upwards of $1,000--but it might be worth a lot more than that. Looks like it's far too valuable to sell on eBay . . . it would probably not get anywhere near its true value there.

There's no way I'm wearing this thing anywhere--I'd be too afraid of spilling something on it or having one of the kids touch it, LOL. I am hanging it carefully in a safe place, out of the direct light.

If you want to stay up-to-the minute on the drama, you can follow the conversation on eBay's Clothing, Shoes and Accessories discussion board here.

This is so incredibly exciting. Hang on for the ride!

I'm going back to that thrift store today to go over every rack with a fine-toothed comb. :)


[Update here. The news may not be quite so exciting after all, but we'll see.]

12 Comments:

Blogger ccw said...

Congrats on your great find! Do keep us updated.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Douglas said...

What's the point of having clothes if you can't wear them?

1:28 PM  
Blogger KLee said...

What a treasure! See, I NEVER find stuff like that. You must have a really good eye.

I'll be really interested to know how much it will bring you in the long run. And, also keep us appraised of any other finds that you might have!

2:35 PM  
Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

very very exciting!!!

4:37 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

I am still picking myself up off the floor. It has seriously destroyed any chance of concentration or productivity I had today.

I did go back to the thrift today--will post later. I got back 15 minutes before people were supposed to be arriving for a chick flick ladies' movie night, which ended up being fun again, and now I'm exhausted and going to bed.

12:34 AM  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

Oooh, this is so awesome...can't wait to hear more about it all. :)

I'm here via Phantom - I realized that I always enjoy reading your comments over there, but haven't ever stopped by before. I'll be back soon...

5:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Well done!

5:26 AM  
Blogger Jane Dark said...

Gorgeous. I don't blame you for not wearing it, but maybe at some point you can have a reproduction made. It's really fantastic.

I'm here via Phantom, and thanks for the exciting story -- it helped wake me up on time.

6:31 AM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

Congrats on that! Wow! I totally wouldn't wear that either! I would insure it or sell it ;)

6:53 AM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Wow! What a fabulous and lucky find! You have quite an eye PK, I wish I lived nearby to go thrifting with you!

11:01 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

very cool, I hope you can get a lot of money for it!

5:01 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Wow, thanks for all the great comments and welcome to the new commenters.

CCW, I'll definitely keep you all updated.

Doug, let's put it this way: If you suddenly discovered one of your shirts was of historic significance and worth thousands of dollars, would you continue wearing it?

Klee, I have unusual tastes and have been a clothing dealer long enough to know real quality when I see it now . . . that helps. I plan to take some time to go through the rest of the items I got tomorrow.

1B*, yes, it is exciting!

Pink_Cupcake, I love your username. Welcome--I always enjoy your posts too and am happy to see you here.

Thanks, beanie_baby! Nice to see you here too.

Jane Dark, welcome! I would love to have a repro made, but half the charm of this item is the amazing feel of the butter-soft leather, and I don't think that could be reproduced. I did, however, splurge and buy myself a somewhat gaudy but fun jacket and jeans set when I went back to the thrift. It's sort of my consolation prize for not getting to wear the Cavalli. :)

R2Ks, I'll definitely be looking into insurance once I get a more solid idea of what this is worth.

Halloweenlover, if you are ever in the Pacific Northwest maybe we can go thrifting.

Sarah, thanks! The great thing is, if I get a lot of money for it I'll be thrilled, but if it turns out not to be worth much after all I'll still be happy, because then I can wear it and enjoy it that way. It's really a win-win situation.

1:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home