Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Corned!

Last Saturday some friends from our home group (Malamute Rescue Couple) volunteered to take all three of our kids for the day so DH and I could have a break and some time together.

All three kids loved being with them and their three kids (who are close to our kids in age).

It was wonderful. We felt almost like newlyweds again. Our friends were just as careful about Baby E's allergies as we are, so I was able to relax and not worry about her. It was so nice.

DH and I decided to try eating at Sweet Tomatoes. We hadn't been out to dinner since probably August, when we found out about E's corn allergy.

#################

The manager said that no wash or additive of any kind except plain water was used on the fresh greens, but the melons were soaked in something that might contain corn. The baked potatoes weren't treated with anything, he said.

So I had a salad with iceberg and leaf lettuce, banana squash, zucchini, shredded carrots, radish, and celery. I also had a plain baked potato. I put olive oil, rice wine vinegar, and fresh-ground pepper on it, and it was very good.

As I was eating I noticed that the vinegar had a bit of a sweet taste, but thought maybe that was because it was wine vinegar. I had checked the bottle and all it said was "rice wine vinegar".

The next time I nursed Baby E after eating that meal, she got a rash on her cheeks and they swelled up a bit. I hadn't seen her face puff up like that before--that was a new thing and is a bit scary.

Baby E and I were both rather sick that night. At first I thought my reaction was from eating too much chocolate, but I'm wondering if it was the corn. We ate a small amount of chocolate again last night with no reaction from either of us.

Every time I nursed her from the Sweet Tomatoes meal until halfway through the next day, she got sick. She'd cry and act like her tummy hurt. At first she was just miserable all the time, but as it started to wear off we saw a definite pattern related to her nursing. Her face didn't puff up again, but she definitely had a little rash on her cheeks and then broke out around her mouth. She ended up getting mad at me and not wanting me to even touch her or come near her for a while, presumably because she figured out that my milk was making her sick.

It took us a while to realize that it was something in my milk and not something she'd eaten directly, and then I thought maybe it was soy cross-contamination in the Trader Joe's sunflower butter I'd eaten a couple of times that day. I suppose it could have been both.

I e-mailed the Sweet Tomatoes company to ask if anything I ate might have been contaminated by corn or soy. The next morning someone from the restaurant called and left a message, very concerned.

The rice wine vinegar had corn syrup in it.

He was very apologetic and said that they would be happy to check ingredients for me on anything at any time if I go in again, and that he's confident they can help us be able to eat safely there.

I was impressed with the customer service, but I'm not sure I'll be willing to risk eating there again. Normally we just don't eat out--it's too hard to make sure the food is safe.

The encouraging thing, as DH noted, was that it's the first time in a couple of weeks she's had a bad allergic reaction. It's a very positive thing that she's been feeling good enough most of the time that we were able to tell she was having a reaction and pinpoint the cause.

It appears that all this being obsessive about Baby E's exposure to allergens is a good thing.

Purple_Kangaroo, allergic to coconut, avocado, milk, blackberry leaves, latex, many environmentals (mold, dust mites, pollen, cats, etc.) and most antibiotics. . . Mom to 3 girls, including Baby E who is allergic to corn, soy, oats, kidney beans, apples, banana, mushrooms, mold and ???

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gah!

So sorry and I hope that she and you are feeling better.

5:54 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks, Liz. I'm trying not to feel too guilty over assuming the vinegar would be okay.

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps, you should consider weaning E. You are getting a better grip on her allergies, and she is almost 1 1/2 yr.old. Considering your own health struggles and food allergies it would give you one less thing to worry about contaminating. Besides, maybe all those lactating calories will be used to help you gain some weight. I am continually surprised at the severity of her corn allergy. Talk about the tracest of elements. No matter what you do I would consider going to the restaurant again. They bent over backwards to accomidate you the first time. I imagine it will be even better the next time.

Just some thoughts.....

7:10 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Anonymous, it would really be helpful if you could pick a screen name (even if it's not your real name) and use it to sign your comments. That way I'd be able to tell you apart from the spammers more easily. :)

I have been discussing the possibility of weaning Baby E with various doctors. In order for that to happen, we would need to find some kind of formula or nutritional supplement she could tolerate. Since she's not absorbing the food she eats very well, it could be disastrous to take away that source of nutrition without replacing it with something else she can digest well.

Oh, and I've gained 3 pounds in the last week or so. So that's good.

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry, I didn't sign my "name"
I'm still working on getting a blog of my own, and I'll let you know when I do. Hurray for gaining weight!

Back to work, Dh shot a 9 point buck on Mon. and I'm still processing the hamburger!
A in PA

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home