Thursday, November 23, 2006

Worry

DH, AJ and Baby E ended up staying home today while M&M and I drove out to my grandparents' house for a brief Thanksgiving celebration. Since my mom is immunosuppressed due to a kidney transplant, she tries not to be around anyone who is sick--even if they're just getting over a mild cold, as in our case today.

I was sad to have to leave most of our family at home, on top of Sis J's absence at college, but it worked out okay. AJ and Baby E had a great time getting Daddy to play princess and paper dolls with them.

M&M and I had a good time and enjoyed a delicious meal with the extended family, then came home and had more festivities with our own family.

A few minutes ago, my sister Sparrow called to say that my mom has been violently ill ever since they got home.

Everyone else seems fine, and our family is very careful about food safety, so food poisoning seems unlikely. It's possible she picked up an intestinal virus on the airplane. She just got back yesterday from her second cross-country trip in the last few weeks to be with Sis J and drive her to doctor's appointments while they try to figure out what's making her so unwell.

Whatever the cause, Mom is really sick right now. That can quickly get dangerous for her, especially if she's not able to keep down her anti-rejection medication. I'm also worried about potential dehydration at the rate she's going.

Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

10:00 PM Update: They're taking her in to the ER for some anti-nausea medication and whatever other treatment she's going to need.

2:30 AM Update: Just got this e-mail from my sister Sparrow:
"2:00 AM and we're back home. They gave her an IV with fluids and anti-nausea, and that stopped the throwing up so eventually she could hold down her meds. She's very weak, but not throwing up anymore. They weren't sure what was wrong, but she didn't have a fever."


Hopefully she will be better and regaining strength by morning.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sincerely hope she's feeling better soon. Good for your family for taking her in right away. Dehydration is nothing to mess with in a kidney transplant recipient. Sending you my best and warmest thoughts for a quick recovery.

10:20 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thank you, Moreena.

3:01 AM  
Blogger jo(e) said...

How awful for all of you. I hope she is feeling better soon.

5:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this -- it's not what you needed for Thanksgiving at all! But I'm glad to see from the updates that the doctors were able to help.

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope she continues to recover. Thinking of you!

9:46 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thank you jo(e), jane dark and phantom scribbler. I haven't called yet to see how she's doing this morning, as I don't want to wake the family if they're sleeping.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Mark Daniels said...

I am praying for her. God bless!

Mark

12:53 PM  
Blogger elswhere said...

Thinking of you, and of your mother. How scary for all of you! I hope she's feeling better soon.

3:46 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thank you, Mark and Elsewhere.

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home