Thursday, December 07, 2006

Cough, cough

I've noticed that my cough, congestion, fatigue and other symptoms are quite a bit better when I'm away from the house. They're worst when I'm in the bedroom or office--probably the places with the highest ratio of dust mites.

Now that I've been sorting through my closet and piles of old clothes for the evening, it's gotten quite a bit worse.

It makes me wonder how much of this is illness and how much is allergies, or if the illness makes me more vulnerable to the allergies.

I'd take some Benadryl to see if it helped, but I am a bit afraid to because I don't know whether it contributed to my throat-swelling the other day or not. Dilemmas, dilemmas.

3 Comments:

Blogger Norma said...

I saw you at a comment window and realized I hadn't visited your and your beautiful children for awhile.

My TT is up. http://collectingmythoughts.blogspot.com/2006/12/thirteen-things-ive-been-wondering.htm

2:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

They do seem to be a vicious circle. Viruses can irritate the airways and make them more sensitive to level of allergens that they would previously be able to tolerate.

When some people have they can have very irritated linings (eyes, nose, upper-respiratory tract) that can lead them to blowing noses, rubbing eyes and touching the mouth with insufficient hand-washing and makes them more vulnerable to infection with a virus that they were previously tolerating.

Very unpleasant.

Regards - Shinga

5:18 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Hi, Norma! Thanks for stopping by.

Shinga, thanks for explaining that. It makes a lot of sense that a virus would lower my resistance to allergens.

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home