Saturday, December 23, 2006

Two Hours

DH cleaned the kitchen last night, and I got a lot more packed into bins in the dining room . . . fabric, sewing notions, yarn, patterns and half-completed projects each in their own bins.

Now it's down to the things that are more random and not-so-easily categorized: receipts, old shoes, doll clothes, magazines and newsletters, candleholders, coverless books, clothes needing repair, hairless dolls, that sort of thing.

For now I'm giving up on that project. I think I'll put the curtains back up over the doorways to the living and dining rooms. People can eat at the kitchen table and on the couches in the family room if they have to.

DH just left for a family meeting with his parents and siblings to discuss decisions regarding his dad. Everyone will be coming here after that, perhaps 2 hours from now.

###########

Thankfully DH put the turkey in the oven before he left. I would never have been able to lift it into the oven with the current state of my shoulder--just getting dressed was enough of a challenge. I'm hoping a strong dose of Ibuprofen will get the swelling down enough that my fingers will stop going numb.

My goals for the next two hours are relatively small: Try to get Baby E to take a nap. Feed the kids lunch. Keep an eye on the turkey. Get the floors tidied and vacuumed in the entry, family room and kitchen/nook. Clean the bathrooms and put out fresh towels.

If I have time left after that, I'll mop the kitchen floor. I'd like to get the veggies chopped, peeled and ready to cook, and bake a cake from what at least appears to be a safe mix. But if necessary that can happen after people start arriving.

Still, it seems that just accomplishing that might take a miracle.

Baby E just finished teething on me and fell asleep. I'm off to the races!

[Update: She woke up screaming as soon as I laid her down, and kept escalating until I finally got her out of her crib 30 or 40 minutes later.]

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas too!
I'm sorry things are so tough. When my candida was at its worst my dad had triple bypass surgery and my mom had a hip replacement. I was driving an hour each way to care for them while trying to run my home and my business and battle chronic fatigue and ibs symptoms. My house went to pieces and it was hard because I had always kept a tidy house. Something about having an orderly space makes things feel different, and better I think. I would encourage you to not be shy about asking for help from your friends or church members. You are truly in a time of need and I think an orderly home would do much to restore your piece of mind, even though it's such a simple thing. It would probably help with the older children too -- organizing play areas or homeschool learning stations for them.
I used the FlyLady method and it worked well for me. Are you familiar with her? If not, she's worth the Google!
At any rate, just wanted to encourage you to be gentle with yourself. You're just in a rough spot at the moment. I think people may be happier to help than you realize, they probably just don't know what to do.
Good luck!

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good luck with all that. sounds like my life the past few weeks! plus my back got aggravated again when we moved. if you need some help with organizing, it's one of my strong points and i am looking for some odd jobs. let me know.

9:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, great site, I found a lot of useful information here, thanks a lot for Your work!
With the best regards!
David

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Much love to you. May your Christmas be bright (and your shoulder feel better.)

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, great site, I found a lot of useful information here, thanks a lot for Your work!
With the best regards!
Jimmy

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job done, keep it up!with the best regards!

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home