Monday, January 22, 2007

Good Stuff

Well, it seems that we're finally really over our illness. The kids and I are still coughing occasionally, but we haven't had any fevers or significant symptoms for days.

I have still been feeling quite weak and ill, but I think that's largely because I lost weight while sick and was down to 97 lbs. I've been working hard at trying to gain weight the last few days (frequent meals! beef & quinoa pilaf for breakfast! muffins! homemade French fries!) and have managed to get back up to 100. Hopefully that will help both my energy levels and immunity.

I broke a piece off a front tooth last night (ugh), so "get" to go to the dentist today. I'm trying to catch up on some dishes and laundry, and am hoping to start back into more formal/structured homeschooling with the kids.

Baby E is still sleeping through the night, and seems to be feeling pretty good. She doesn't say "yeah" any more. Now it's "ess!" She's talking and using signs more and more fluently, requesting specific books by name when it's time to read, and wanting to make her dolls do everything the rest of the household does (brush teeth, brush hair, eat, change into pajamas at bedtime, etc.).

E loves books, and lately she's been paging through even pictureless books pointing at the words and wanting to know about them. I'm guessing it won't be long before she starts picking up letter names and sounds. I'm teaching her the sign language letters along with the sounds the letters make, so it will be interesting to see which she picks up first.

The older girls' favorite pastime lately is reading the encyclopedia. We have an old set of encyclopedias we got at a garage sale a few years ago--not the ones geared toward kids, but the normal kind.

The girls will decide what they want to learn about (ants, tigers, how bees make honey, etc.) and pick out the correct volume. Then I'll help them find the right page and they'll excitedly read all about their chosen topic, then page through looking at other articles.

It amazes me that my 4- and 5-year-olds are reading the encyclopedia on their own. It's fun to see them so excited about learning.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy cow, your kids are cool and smart!

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My nearly 7-year-old loves the World Almanac for Kids, which they have at school (we bought the 2007 one for him in December). There's a fair amount of pop culture and sports in it, but also lots of interesting facts about the natural world, nations, etc. etc. Something your girls might like!

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home