Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Reading Levels

Here's a page with a couple of handy tests for assessing your child's reading level.

I tested both MM and AJ today, trying to get an idea of where to jump in again with schoolwork. M&M scored between 3rd and 4th grade, and AJ is between a 5th and 6th grade reading level. I don't think their comprehension is quite that advanced, though . . . they can sound out and pronounce words without necessarily knowing their meanings.

We started off the year with M&M just beginning to sound out words, and AJ reading at about the level M&M is now. I'm trying to decide whether to just pick up where we left off with most of the curriculum and just tweak it a bit, or whether I should try to change things significantly. Decisions, decisions.

I think today I'll start them where we left off with most things and see if they seem to be bored or interested. Then I can adjust from there.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's awfully impressive, especially given all you've been through there in the past several months. Pats on the back for AJ, MM, and their mama!

5:56 PM  
Blogger Sparrow said...

Yay for reading! I'll pray for wisdom on where to go with school.

10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just took the test and my six year old also scored somewhere between 4th and fifth grade. But her comprehention level seems to be around a mid third grade as far as I have noticed from watching her read. Thanx for the sight, it's really interesting.

2:27 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks, everyone.

Phantom, it's certainly not me . . . I'm just glad my kids have been teaching themselves so well.

Wendy, the idea of having your DS read to his little sister is great. M&M and AJ love reading to Baby E.

Thanks, Amy.

Katia, I think my kids' comprehension is a few grade levels below their decoding skills too.

11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home