Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Baby Signs

Baby E is saying a lot of words now, but it's still helpful to use sign language with her. For instance, book, sock, duck, quack and chicken all sound very similar, so if she's saying "uck" and making the shoe sign, we know she's saying sock.

She picks up both signs and words almost instantly now, so teaching her is just a matter of showing her what they are and helping her use them a few times.

I think today I'll teach her how to sign ball since any kind of ball is one of her absolute favorite toys lately.

    Sign language words Baby E is currently using:

  • Eat/food

  • More

  • Chicken

  • Drink

  • All Done

  • Please

  • Thank you

  • Goodnight (this is her own invented sign)

  • Sleep

  • Tired

  • Baby (she also uses this sign for doll)

  • Book

  • Shoe

  • Duck (bird)

  • Spider

  • Elephant

  • Potty

She also acts out a lot of words or phrases such as dance, hairbrush, toothbrush, spoon, wipe, tissue, and feeding the baby. And, of course, she waves hello and goodbye.

Labels:


2 Comments:

Blogger Liz Miller said...

Adorable! And so smart!

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love doing sign language with both of my kids, although my daughter took to it like I have never seen. When she was 18 mo I counted up her signs and it was well over 50. My son has significantly less than that :) The sign that was helpful for both of our kids "help." It gave them a outlet of communication when they became frustrated. I always tell people about how wonderful it is. I think I enjoy it more than they do!

A in PA

5:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home