Monday, April 02, 2007

Nosegay

M&M

M&M and I went shopping last night, just the two of us. We had a lot of fun wandering around the store looking at toys, trying on shoes, and enjoying being together. She is very much a "girly girl" and loves thing like flowing skirts, jewelry, shoes, ribbons, lace, flowers, dolls and anything pretty--especially if it's pink.

One of the things we bought was this bouquet of pretty posies:

flowers

You may notice, though, that a couple of the flowers are missing several petals. That's because Baby E climbed up on a chair to inspect the bouquet this morning.

No, she wasn't playing "Love me . . . love me not."

She was poking petals into her nose.

It gives a whole new meaning to the word "nosegay." I wonder what Cyrano de Bergerac would think of Baby E's definition?

E poking matzo crumbs up her nose

All of my kids experimented with putting things into their nose and/or ears around this age, but Baby E carries it to a whole new level. She doesn't just do it occasionally; it's a constant thing. It's been going on for weeks now, many times a day.

It isn't just if she is given a food she doesn't like or is full, either. Chicken, hamburger, bread, pears, cereal, broccoli, potato stix, matzo cracker--it all gets shoved into her nostrils or ears the moment I let my guard down. Then I'm getting bits of it out of her nose for the next two hours.

I wonder if it's her way of trying to relieve itching from allergies, or if it's just an obsession with trying to see how much food she can stuff into those fascinating little holes.

As she demonstrated this morning, she also stows away things other than food.

She was sneezing, sniffling and coughing occasionally all morning as the petals worked their way out. I called the advice nurse, who said not to worry about it unless the "foreign object" didn't come out, or if it was impeding her breathing, causing pain or showing signs of infection. She suggested using an aspirator to get the petals out without just pushing them farther in as any other method might do.

I managed to get three pink petals, a white petal, and a piece of a leaf out of her right nostril. The left nostril only yielded one white petal, but it appears there may be more lodged farther back.

At least it's not impeding her breathing.

I try to keep an eye on her and stop her from doing it. But I can't hover constantly and I can't exactly just stop giving her food.

E asking, Where's Daddy?

What's a girl to do?

Labels: ,


11 Comments:

Blogger Liz Miller said...

Such a little silly girl she is. And how grown up M&M has become!

7:00 PM  
Blogger my4kids said...

oh my gosh that is so funny. Madison used to stick food in her nose also fortunatly she never got it stuck. Also she never stuck that much up at one time. She is a silly girl!
That last picture is to cute!

9:18 PM  
Blogger chaoticfamily said...

Very funny - I recently posted a pic of N. on my blog with her fingers up her nose - I read somewhere that an early obsession with noses is a sign of allergies. My boy was not as infatuated with his nose as my gal! :) Enjoy the pretty flowers!

11:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the only thing you can do is to write this "favorite activity" in her baby book so you will be sure to remember it and bring it up when she is a teenager and especially when she has boys over.

7:32 AM  
Blogger KLee said...

I'm sorry that it's stressing you out. I don't remember putting things in my nose at that age, but I do remember my little brother doing that quite a few times. Little Brother didn't have allergies, so I tend to think it was much more of an exploratory nature. He stuck pennies and marbles up there, and peanuts, and raisins... oh, I can't even remember all the stuff he stuck up his nose!

I hope Baby E gets over this phase pretty soon! :)

12:01 PM  
Blogger ccw said...

That is funny! Although I guess it is a little scary when you discover she has put things in her nose.

She's adorable!

6:36 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

That last pic is adorable. I LOVE her expression!

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once had a class full of eleventh graders who were fond of inserting pens and similar items (drinking straws, drumsticks) into their noses.

A. is still teaching, and this has become our reference point for bad student behavior, as in: "My whole advisory talked through the assembly." "But did any of them have pens up their noses?"

9:04 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Liz, yes. It amazes me how fast the kids grow up.

My4Kids, in that last picture Baby E is actually saying, "Where's Daddy?"

Chaoticfamily, that's really interesting about the allergy/nose theory. It would make sense if their noses itch.

Diane, that's a great idea. Maybe I should try to get video of it to use as blackmail later. :)

Klee, thankfully Baby E hasn't tried pennies or marbles yet. LOL.

CCW, thanks. It is funny and a bit worrisome at the same time.

Kai, thanks. I'm sure that photo is going to end up in her graduation or wedding video or something like that. It's one of my favorites of her so far.

Shelia, that is HILARIOUS (although I'm sure it wasn't at the time). You made me laugh out loud. I certainly hope Baby E outgrows this by 11th grade.

9:50 PM  
Blogger susan said...

We've been reading Lilly and the Purple Plastic Purse a lot here lately, and it was echoing in my head as I read this post: Wow. That is all I can say, Wow.

7:57 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Susan, that's one I haven't read. I'll have to look it up at the library.

12:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home