Thursday, April 19, 2007

Pure Deliciousness



When DH got home last night, I was attempting to cook dinner and get the grease off the kitchen floor.

He had to work from home at 7, but in the hour before that he took the kids and played a game with them. Then he vaccuumed the family room where Baby E had taken a piece of bread, crumbled it into bits, and spread the pieces around on the sofas and carpet. Then he got out the steam-cleaner and shampooed the carpet where M&M had just tracked in mud.

No, I can't clone him. Don't you wish?

Baby E is still uncomfortable and fussy this morning, but better than yesterday afternoon.** Her biggest thing at the moment is that she does NOT want her diaper changed, will NOT use the potty, and does NOT want any clothes taken off or put on.

#####################

Nothing should be changed. Nothing. The only change that should be taking place today, E thinks, is switching from one side to the other occasionally while nursing. (She says, "Side" and wiggles herself around to the opposite direction in my arms, and then grins up at me--very cute.)

That and she really thinks the fact that I have one hand on the computer instead of on her needs to change. She wants both of my hands and my full attention.

The way I managed to get her into a clean diaper and her pajamas last night was to tell her everything was a hat. We put a diaper hat on her bottom, foot hats on her feet, etc. That trick turned a flailing, screaming, death-grip-on-the "sirt!" tantrum into giggling cooperation, and made me feel like a brilliant Mommy for a moment. I'm about to see if it works again.



Breakfast this morning included homemade sourdough cinnamon rolls, made with raw honey and saigon cinnamon. Wow, they're good.

I have no idea whether I'll be able to reproduce them again, though. I've been inventing a lot of recipes lately, but not the kind I can post on my recipe blog. They're less of "one cup this, two teaspoons that" recipes and more of the "Hmmm, I wonder what would happen if I added some honey to this sourdough starter, and then mixed in enough spelt flour to make it into dough?" types of recipes.

I love experimenting with food. It's standardizing a recipe to make it reproducible that's challenging for me.

** I think I figured out what E is reacting to. Several days in a row she's gotten into the girls' bathroom (they are supposed to keep the door closed, but they keep leaving it open even RIGHT after I go and close it and remind them to keep it shut--argh). The moment she gets a chance, E makes a beeline for their bathroom. She opens the drawer, takes out one of the girls' toothbrushes, and tries to brush her teeth with it (a.k.a. sucks on the toothbrush--ick!). It happened at least twice yesterday.

This morning she had a tube of toothpaste, too. It just dawned on me that this is NOT the relatively-safe-for-Baby E toothpaste that I bought for the girls and put in their bathroom drawer. It is the little tube of toothpaste the dentist gave them, and which DH has apparently been letting them use. I was vaguely aware of this, but it didn't really click until today.

No wonder Baby E is having reactions, getting that in her mouth! Argh. That tube of toothpaste is now in the garbage, and I'll ask DH to get the girls new toothbrushes on his way home tonight. The girls are going to be upset, but since they keep leaving the bathroom door open I do not want that toothpaste in the house.

Labels: , , ,


4 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Okay, here's what you do. After the girls are all up from afternoon naps, tell them you are taking a little field trip. Then you take a couple of those cinnamon rolls, wrap them in foil, and drive to the post office. Once there, you address a small mailing tube to me and put the rolls inside. YUM!!!

:)

12:29 PM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

Oh, yum, yum, yum!

Sounds like the older girls are getting the natural consequences of not shutting that door. I hope Baby E feels better soon.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

baby E reminds me of my younger two(npow 10 ansd 12) they have Asperger's Syndrome and Sensory Integration Dysfunction, The latter being the main cause of their struggles

Your girls are cute!

9:25 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Amy, I'd be happy to send you some. If you e-mail me your address I'll do it sometime when I have time and fresh baked goods.

Liz, they actually weren't too upset about it. Baby E is doing better. She had a bit of fussiness and a little rash today, but I'm not sure why.

Kaber, thanks for commenting. SID was one of the things a doctor had suggested for Baby E, but she only gets symptoms of it when she's having a food reaction. She gets some autism-like symptoms with the really bad or prolonged reactions, too. But she's completely fine as long as we stay away from her problem foods.

12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home