Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Adrenaline Rush

I still have a sinus infection, but it seems to be improving. I'm feeling quite a bit better. Thanks for the comments and well-wishes.

Tonight we had a potluck gathering with DH's family at Family Tradition Falls. DH's curly-haired sister from Gateway to Oz and her husband and kids were there, along with 3 of DH's other siblings, some of their kids, and DH's parents. We rarely get to see the families from across the USA, so that was fun.

DH's dad seemed happy to be there and spoke briefly with me and others. Pretty soon, though, he ended up going back to the car to lie down.

One of DH's nieces was holding Baby E while I brought things from the car and worked on getting things set up. Gateway to Oz BIL came over to say hello to her. I greeted him as I went by.

Then out of the corner of my eye I saw BIL hand Baby E a piece of a corn chip. It didn't register for a moment, then in seeming slow motion I saw her look at the strange new food and start to move it toward her mouth.

########################

I made a flying leap to grab her hand, saying, "No, no, NO-no-no-no-no!"

Thankfully, I caught her arm halfway to her mouth. I took the chip and stood there holding her arm so she couldn't put her hand in her mouth, asking DH to bring me a baby wipe. Baby E started giggling at strange Mommy. I laughed with her in relief and explained to BIL that Baby E is severely allergic to corn. Poor guy, I probably gave him a heart attack too. DH brought the wipe and I cleaned E's hand as thoroughly as I could.

BIL apologized and held up some lettuce or something, saying, "Oh, well can I give her this?"

I said, "No! Please, don't feed her anything at all. She can only eat what DH or I give her."

It took a while for my heart to slow down its beating. We were probably at least an hour from the nearest hospital, and we certainly didn't want to trial something major like corn chips in that type of situation. I'll take the controlled in-office food challenge with medical care and resuscitation equipment inches away, thank you very much, even though we likely wouldn't end up needing it.

Baby E did have a reaction (albeit mild) with a slight rash and significant GI symptoms earlier this week to some Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) powder that was supposed to be (and was labeled!) corn-free, but turned out to be most likely grown on corn-derived glucose. She started getting eczema or some type of little rash on her face (which hasn't happened since her last suspected corn exposure in March) along with the diarrhea, etc. I'm not sure if the milder reaction was because it was such a small amount, because she's getting less sensitive, or because I buffered the vitamin C with baking soda (a substance that some claim can minimize or neutralize allergic reactions in the gut) to cut the acidity.

The ascorbic acid reaction was different from and more severe than the symptoms she's been getting from fructose or whatever it is that's bothering her in some other foods. At least she didn't get the facial swelling or raspy breathing/coughing this time. Of course, this was trace amounts (mostly through my milk) of a corn derivative so highly refined that it technically contained no corn.

Just to throw a wrench in things, we gave Baby E a Pear Bar at luch today with no significant symptoms. Pears are supposed to be one of the very worst foods for people with fructose intolerance, and dried fruit is supposed to be even worse than fresh fruit. One bar is the equivalent of two pears. She ate the whole thing with no apparent effects other than a BM just a bit softer than normal about an hour later.

Four blackberries, a quarter of a peach, or less than half a banana gives her diarrhea, horrible reflux, and pretty severe GI symptoms, but she can eat two entire dried pears with only very mild effects? Fresh pears seem to affect her the same way most other fruits do, but she can handle Asian pears better than Bartlett? It makes no sense.

Some days I just want to throw up my hands and say, "Okay, I give up. I can't figure it out. Just tell me the answer."

I don't have anyone to tell me the answer. So I'm back to detailed record-keeping. Hopefully something will give us a clue--or at least give a clue to someone who knows how to interpret the data, if we can find such a someone.

Labels: ,


3 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

Perhaps some kind of little button pinned on Baby E's shirt might help out in situations where there are people who could accidentally feed Baby E something that could cause a reaction. A little button that says she has severe allergies? It could help put your mind at ease a little until she's old enough to understand and communicate.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

I like that idea. How's about a t-shirt that says, "Please don't feed the toddler"?

6:00 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Usually in situations like that I make some kind of announcement telling people not to feed Baby E anything, but I just kind of assumed everyone there knew. I forgot that those who only see us once a year or so can't necessarily be expected to remember.

I have looked into little brightly-colored "allergy" bracelets, and I actually designed a little shirt, but I haven't actually done anything about it yet. Maybe this will be my incentive to get the shirt made now. :)

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home