Monday, September 24, 2007

Uh-Oh

Baby E just learned how to operate round door handles. She's quite proficient at it. We purposely put in round doorknobs instead of the lever kind when we built this house, figuring that would keep our toddlers from opening doors so early.

It didn't work for long with this one.

What happened to my baby?

She's barely two and she took herself potty all day today without help (although I did check up after her when I realized she'd gone). She can count to the mid-teens. She knows some of her alphabet and desperately wants to read. She wants to find places on the globe. She asks, "What's dat?" constantly--and usually repeats and remembers the answer.

E knows all her colors. Her favorite color is yellow and she thinks everything yellow belongs to her, which results in some interesting demands. For instance, the other day we drove past a yellow beetle and she was insistent that it must be hers: "I mahnt my lellow cawr! Dook; my lellow cawr, wight thewe! My lellow cawr! See? It's my lellow cawr. Div me my lellow cawr! I mahnt my lellow cawr."

She can not only turn on the water in the sink, but she can also access the ice and water in the refrigerator door. She pours her own juice, rice milk and cereal--usually all over the table and floor as well as in the target receptacle. She regularly opens the silverware drawer and the dishes cupboard to get herself a plate, bowl, cup, spoon and fork. She doesn't have to drag a chair or stool to do this, though she certainly can and does do it to reach other things.

She can operate locks. She knows how to unscrew lids and operate pump dispensers. And, now, she can open doors.

Watch out, world!

How am I going to keep up with this one?

Labels:


6 Comments:

Blogger Liz Miller said...

Yipes!

We put in key-operated dead-bolts on the doors to the basement and the garage high up above MM's head.

Also, we use those white knob-covers that need a grown-up sized hand on things like the laundry room, the "Christmas" closet, and (sometimes) our bedroom.

I hope you can keep up with your smart, clever, helpful, sweet girl!

9:22 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

We have deadbolts on most of the outside doors that she can't reach yet . . . the sliding glass back door is a problem, as she's learning how to unlock and open it. At least we have an alarm system that we can set to chime and tell us which door was opened any time an outside door opens.

We used those white knob covers when AJ was just a little older than Baby E . . . it only took AJ a couple of weeks to figure out how to work them. I guess we'll have to get them out again. Maybe they'll at least give us a week or two extra to work on E about which doors she shouldn't open without permission. :)

9:26 AM  
Blogger CalvaryGirl said...

(((A))) I am sitting here at work giggling at your other post about ''merica', having to explain how amazing your family is ;o) I was already thinking how advanced baby E was before I got to this post (I read everything via email...) Keep on doing what you're doing; I'm glad the corn derivative trial was not a bad one!!

10:25 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I find myself constantly amazed at how quickly little people learn to do big-people things.

Maybe you could invest in some hook and eye fasteners and install them high up on the doors where the girl(s) need adult supervision.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

We have a broom stick cut to the size of the groove the door slides in and put it in the groove.

It won't stop her from opening the door, but it may buy you some time.

7:17 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Glad I gave you a giggle, Wendy.

Great idea, Liz and Amy . . . thanks.

2:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home