Sunday, January 27, 2008

Children's Lit First Line Quiz

I stole this idea from MysteryMommy.

These are the first lines from several children's books I have lying around. See if you can identify them.

1. One warm night four children stood in front of a bakery.

2. From the pleasant village of Mayenfeld a path leads through green fields, richly covered with trees, to the foot of the mountain, which from this side overhangs the valley with grave and solemn aspect.

3. This is a story about something that happened long ago when your grandfather was a child.

4. Once upon a time, sixty years ago, a little girl lived in the Big Woods of Wisconsin, in a little gray house made of logs.

5. "Where's Papa going with that ax?"

6. Keith, the boy in the rumpled shorts and shirt, did not know he was being watched as he entered room 215 of the Mountain View Inn.

7. This journey took place in a part of Canada which lies in the northwestern part of the great sprawling province of Ontario.

8. "That slowpoke Sarah!"

9. THE FIRST place that I can well remember was a large pleasant meadow with a pond of clear water in it.

10. "Papa, is this the place?"


* As per Liz's definition, these are books that were either written for children or that I read and enjoyed before age 12.

Labels: , , ,


6 Comments:

Blogger Liz Miller said...

2. Heidi
3. Farmer Boy
4. Little House in the Big Woods
5. Charlotte's Web (one of the best first sentences EVAH!)
8. All of a Kind Family
10. A Little Princess

6:54 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

You're right on all but #3, Liz! I have 10 more to post soon . . . I decided 20 in one post was probably a bit much. :)

2:46 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

#4 I knew before I checked the comments.
#3 I'm guessing Winnie-the-Pooh?

The others I have no idea.

3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

#1 is The Boxcar Children, right? One of my all-time favorites! (Well, the ones actually written by Gertrude Chandler Warner are...the others that follow are kinda corny.) If your readers don't guess the full list, please post the answers. They all sound like good reads. --Kathy J.

10:30 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Amy, #3 is not Winnie-the-Pooh. I'm guessing it is probably a book you've read, though.

Kathy, you're right! And I will post the answers eventually.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I knew #4, 5, 10. Otherwise - if it isn't about public administration, lol, all bets are off.

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home