Monday, January 28, 2008

Lazy Days

We're all still sick.

M&M and Baby E are congested, coughing, headachy, tired and grumpy. AJ doesn't have a cough--she has a fever and no appetite. AJ seems to have the same bug DH had last week. I appear to have come down with the respiratory virus that M&M and Baby E have, though I'm not coughing as much.

We ended up canceling home group yesterday because 4 of the 6 families were sick (some with an intestinal virus that hasn't showed up here yet). DH went to church, but the rest of us stayed home.

Baby E is still plugging along with the potty training. She's insistent that she is done with diapers, and must wear underwear at all times.

#########################

She's doing great keeping them clean during the day. Not so great at night. Which makes for a lot of wet bedding to change, but hopefully she'll either stop wetting the bed or consent to wear a pull-up to bed soon. At the moment I just want to encourage her with her efforts and am happy she's decided she's finally a "big diwl" and done with diapers.

Last night we all cuddled up on the couch and watched Mary Poppins. DH and I hadn't seen it since we were kids, and the girls had never seen it. It was as good as I remembered it. We talked a bit afterwards about how we can think up all sorts of interesting things by using our imaginations, and about why Mary Poppins came and what she helped the family to realize (that the children needed the parents to be more involved in their lives and day-to-day care).

Today there is about an inch of snow on the grass. The roads are already clear. The kids are enjoying seeing the snow out the window, but none of them have asked to go outside. We're just sort of lazing around being a sick house today.

Right now all three kids are reading--AJ read No Children, No Pets for a while and is now reading Burgess' Danny Meadow Mouse. Baby E has a stack of books that she's "reading" to her baby doll. M&M is lying in bed reading picture books aloud to her doll, too, even though she doesn't have much of a voice. She's finished the series of American Girl Samantha books we picked up a week or two ago, and now is scrounging around for new reading materials.

I'm currently reading a book I picked up at a thrift shop because I'd heard it recommended--Raising Your Spirited Child: a guide for parents whose child is more intense, sensitive, perceptive, persistent, energetic. It's good. So good, in fact, that I'm finding myself underlining and writing notes in the margin--something I rarely do. I'll try to write a review of the book when I finish it.

Later today we'll probably do some school-related reading and take naps. I'm ready for a nap now, but I'm hoping that if I wait until afternoon to put the kids down, they'll actually sleep. A girl can hope, right? :)

Labels: , ,


3 Comments:

Blogger Liz Miller said...

I hope you all feel better soon.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for Connor's bday wishes. I hope everyone is feeling better at your house soon.

I have to re add all my favs again. lost them somehow...

what is up with the needing to click to read the full blog? why can't I read the full thing here on your blog page?

8:16 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks, Liz. Our colds are still lingering on, but we seem (hopefully!) to be on the tail end of them now.

Kaber, hi! I set it up so that I can include code in my blog post to put just part of the post on the main blog page. That way people don't have to scroll down forever to see what the last few posts are about, and if they're interested in reading more they can click through to the entire post.

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home