Saturday, February 02, 2008

Picture Book First Lines

These are first lines from books geared toward the younger set. How many can you recognize?

[ETA: I added the second sentence to #4. I think most people who grew up in the USA should know this one.]

1. One berry / Two berry / Pick me a blueberry.

2. In this book/ With your little eye / Take a look / And play 'I spy'

3. Five little puppies dug a hole under the fence and went for a walk in the wide, wide world.

4. The sun did not shine. It was too wet to play.

5. Granddaddy says when he was little and the world was young, and only a few people had cars . . .

6. Mr. and Mrs. Mallard were looking for a place to live

7. Way up in the hayloft of an old barn live a mother cat and her new baby kittens.

8. "Come inside, Mr. Bird," said the mouse.

9. A happy little elephant was dancing through the jungle.

10. In the light of the moon a little egg lay on a leaf.

11. In the great green room / There was a telephone / And a red balloon . . .

12. This is George.

13. Chug, chug, chug. Puff, puff, puff. Ding-dong, ding-dong.

14. One evening, after thinking it over for some time, Harold decided to go for a walk in the moonlight.

Labels: ,


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suspect I'm handicapped by growing up on the wrong continent!
Cheers

7:37 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Apparently, I'm not much better at these! :) I'm only sure of two of them.

6. Make Way for Ducklings
10. The Very Hungry Caterpillar?
11. Good Night, Moon
12. Curious George?
14. Harold and the Purple Crayon?

1:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I LOVED that book! The berry one. Oneberry two berry pick me a blueberry. Jamberry? not sure on the name

5:27 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Hmmm ... I can find all but #5 and #7 when I google. Guess I'll just have to wait for the answers to those.

10:51 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Maddy, you're probably right . . . I think these are all or mostly American books.

Amy, you did great!

Kaber, you're right, it's Jamberry. Fun book!

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home