Monday, January 28, 2008

More Children's Lit First Lines

Here are the first lines (or two) of several more of my favorite children's books. (Liz, I put one of these in especially for you.)

As before, these are books that were either written for children, or that I read and enjoyed before age 12. I'll post the answers eventually.

I really enjoy this meme. I think I'm going to have to do a picture-book version and a "classic books for grown-ups" version eventually, too. Maybe even a poetry version--wouldn't that be fun?

################

11. "How white the moonlight is tonight!"

12. It was January in northern New York State, sixty-seven years ago.

13. For many days we had been tempest-tossed.

14. The antique shop is very still now. Theobold and I have it all to ourselves, for the cuckoo clock was sold day before yesterday and Theobold has been so industrious of late there are no more mice to venture out from behind the woodwork.

15. The little old kitchen had quieted down from the bustle and confusion of midday; and now, with its afternoon manners on, presented a holiday aspect that, as the principal room in the brown house, it was eminently proper it should have.

16. One morning a little rabbit sat on a bank. He perked his ears and listened to the trit-trot, trit-trot of a pony.

17. To start with there was Shora.

18. There was this boy, Davie, and he was going to have a rabbit.

19. IT seemed like Mother Nature was sure agreeable that day when the little black colt came to the range world and tried to get a foothold with his long wobblety legs on the brown prairie sod.

20. I REMEMBER the day the Aleut ship came to our island.

21. The seat of the old wicker chair on the rock was worn right through.

22. "Christmas won't be Christmas without any presents."

Labels: , ,


2 Comments:

Blogger Liz Miller said...

11. I knew the series but had to Google for the specific. I love that character.

12. Heeee! I know this one!

15. Heee! I know this one too!

20. Island of the Blue Dolphins.

22. Little Women. I love this book, but that's got to be the whiniest first line of any book ever.

1:49 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Liz, you're right on all those. #11 is one of my all-time favorite characters from literature, too.

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home