Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Why? Why? Why? But Why?

Baby E is fully immersed in the "why" stage. She is also getting pretty good at using logical arguments.

Today she bumped her arm lightly on a chair and said, "I bumped my awm! I need a band-aid."

I said, "Oh, I think you'll be ok. You don't need a bandage for a little bump like that."

"Why?"

"Because it's not bleeding."

"But it wiw stawt bweeding vewy soon."

"No, I don't think so."

"Why?"

"Because you just bumped it a little bit, and that won't make it bleed."

"Why?"

"Because little bumps don't break the skin."

"Why?"

"Well, because they just make a bump, and it doesn't usually make the skin come open. Only things like cuts and scrapes bleed."

"Why?"

"Because they break the skin open, and that lets blood out."

"I have a tut on my tummy. It's bweeding, see?" She showed me a teeny tiny scratch on her tummy. An old one, already scabbing over.

"Oh, yes, you do have a little tiny scratch on your tummy. But it's not bleeding."

"Why?"

Labels:


3 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

Platelets in the blood form a natural band-aid.

But why?

To stop your blood from pouring out of your body.

But Why?

...

I think this ultimately leads to something like, "I don't know", or "that's just the way it is", or, maybe if you're in a playful mood, "why do you think, Ebee?". :)

I suspect that my parents used that last one on me, since I'm told that I used to make up all kinds of (occasionally believable) explanations for things.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

When you get E to understand only needing a bandage if she's bleeding, can you send her over here to convince my little one?

Pretty please?

5:57 PM  
Blogger Madeleine said...

You can get a whole bunch of science classes done just answering all those questions!

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home