Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Still here

Things have been really crazy the last few weeks with the wedding and everything. Dr. A's wedding was beautiful and fun, and everything went great. Now we're just trying to recover and get back into our routine.

More updates below the fold . . .

#########################

I have been feeling quite a bit better the last few weeks. I was only down for 2 or 3 days after the wedding instead of being incapacitated for several weeks, which is a huge improvement. Very encouraging.

My test results on the Epstein-Barr titers came back, and I was very pleased to hear that I do NOT have chronic mononucleosis, and no longer have an active mono infection. It took me about a year, but I'm finally over it and seem to be recovered from having mono. So that's a huge praise.

My friend JT had her baby, and we had a new little grand-nephew born this week too.

We're enjoying our pets a lot, and the pet bunnies and Mira are all scheduled for spays and neuters over the next few weeks. Ebee let all the bunnies out together the weekend before last, so Snowflake's spay may end up being delayed if she got pregnant.

We're becoming quite the menagerie, actually. We also got three meat rabbits (well, we started out with 4, but one went into a stew pretty quickly). The ones left are two does and a buck, that we are possibly going to try our hand at raising (just for ourselves and Mira, not as a business). Ebee let the two pet bucks and all three does out, so we're hoping we're not going to end up having three litters all at once in a few weeks.

At the moment we also have a little bantam rooster that we were given, who had originally been intended for eating also, but he is so cute and non-aggressive and so unusually quiet for a rooster that the kids and I wanted to keep him as a pet. I have been putting him in the garage at night in a dog carrier covered with a cloth, and he stays quiet until I let him out in the late morning. He crows for a while when I first let him out, and then he putters around in the garden eating bugs and dead vegetation all day, and doesn't make even his relatively quiet crowing very much for the rest of the day. He eats hardly any chicken feed, either because he finds so much to eat in the garden or because he is just so small.

DH is adamant that dogs and a rabbit are enough animals for the time being, though, and he's probably right. So the little rooster will need to find a new home in a week or so after he has time to clean up the garden a bit more. It seems a shame to eat such a nice, unusually quiet tiny rooster, so if anyone in the area wants a sweet little bantam rooster for a pet or to start a flock, please let me know. He only weighs about a pound and a half, feathers and all.

Mira is in heat right now, but her training is going well. She is a little less patient than usual with being in heat. I told DH that now I know why they call grumpiness in women what they do. :)

We got our roof fixed this week, finally. No more branch in the ceiling.

The kids are having a bit of a hard time getting back into our school routine after the chaos with the wedding and everything the last few weeks, but I expect that things will settle down within a week or two.

Our homeschool co-op term starts up again in a few weeks, and DH is teaching a class for 7th-12th graders on "What's inside your computer". I think he and the kids will all really enjoy that.

That's all for now! I'm off to bed.

Labels: ,


3 Comments:

Blogger Carolynn from Western Australia said...

WOW PK you guys have been busy. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that the bunnies are not all pregnant. Mind you, hat would be a few more for the pot. YUM

As promised I will write to you properly via your e-mail, I look forward to chatting to you.

I hope the girls settle back into their school routine soon and I look forward to AJ getting back to writing her story again.

Have you had much snow over the Winter. We have had temps up around mid 30's to low 40 Degree Centigrade over the past couple of weeks, I'm so glad we have air conditioning.

Must go and get dinner on Roast Chicken tonight.

Take care
Lots of Love to you ALL
Carolynn xxxxxx :-)

11:21 PM  
Blogger Madeleine said...

It's good to hear from you. I'm glad you've been happy-busy. Baby bunnies, wow, that would be a scene. Be sure to take pictures if you end up with a pile of them.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

So glad you're doing well. My sister kept chickens for several years and loved the fresh eggs and meat they got from them! Not to mention the great compost.

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home