Saturday, July 09, 2011

Where Purple_Kangaroo is From

I am from the teakettle simmering on the back of the stove, from homemade Butterfinger ice cream, and tea parties with Holly Hobbie and Raggedy Ann.

I am from the brown two-story house my father built, wrapped in a broad porch and shadowed by the hill, with frogs croaking at night and Ramblin' Creek bubbling and laughing below.

I am from blackberry vines, wild roses, evergreen trees; tall grass, gerilliums, and koi eating duckweed in the pond.

I am from potlucks at the park and softspoken people who are small spitfires; from Jennie Squires and a Moravian prince who eloped with the milkmaid, and the seven Swift brothers who came on a ship when the land was new.

I am from strongwilled and stubborn, deeply loving and fiercely protective.

From "Don't let that stop you!" and "Your sisters are your best friends;" from Dad taking us fishing and chanting "They're Coming to Take me Away, HaHa" and mom showing us how to do the Charleston and saying, "Look, girls! Isn't the mountain pretty?"

I am from non-denominational evangelical faith in Jesus Christ as our Savior; a relationship not a religion; asking questions and searching the Scriptures, solid on the basics but knowing that there are some things we can't know and it's OK to disagree.

I'm from lumberjacks in the Pacific Northwestern USA; from immigrants and pioneers; from England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, The Netherlands and Czechoslovakia, but adopted Latin America; oven pancake and lemon meringue pie; poppyseed kolache and roast beef empanadas; pan-fried grasshoppers and oven-fried chicken.

From the little green man under the stairs, Uncle Ned's Fox and Coyote stories, Grandpa smiling and saying "Yes, Yes" in Spanish while revolutionaries waved weapons and threatened to kill him, the beaver trap we almost stepped in, and the time Sis ate dirt cookies that I made.

I am from yellowed photo albums, pictures lined up on the shelf in the old farmhouse, the scrapbook of letters from loved ones, the hand-knitted hats and mittens tucked away in the closet, the opal earrings in the treasure box, and the framed picture of the bridge over Multnomah Falls where my grandparents got engaged.

I am from roots run deep in generations of grit, spunk, perseverance in hardship, and love.

----

I got this from MysteryMommy, who got it from Magpie and Crunchy Granola.

This exercise is based on a poem by George Ella Lyon called "Where I'm From."

The template is here if you'd like to join in. Schmutzie is compiling a list of links to different bloggers' versions of the meme.

Labels: , , ,


12 Comments:

Blogger Magpie said...

every one of these is beautiful. it's a remarkable form that it gives back so well.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Sparrow said...

Wow, that was beautiful.

Thanks for letting me know you'd posted. I'll have to think about that one for a while. I can't beat yours, I'm sure! :-)

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Carol Wiley said...

What a nice post! :-)
Love you!

2:31 PM  
Blogger Rita Garcia said...

Creative and beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

2:54 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Sparrow, don't try to ovrerthink it. :) Just read a few of the examples and then copy/paste the form and start filling in the blanks with whatever pops into your mind with the cues given. It's pretty much like playing Mad Libs. ;-)

3:11 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I thought it felt a bit like Mad Libs as well, PK. I did mine a few weeks ago and LOVED the exercise ;) Though, I'm itching to revise mine as the one on my blog is rough draft ;)

3:35 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

I know, I keep wanting to revise mine too. :)

3:36 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Lovely indeed.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

I love this one.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Liz@thisfullhouse said...

So, so beautiful, thanks for sharing!

12:29 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

Lovely writing. I especially like the last paragraph.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Sparrow said...

I ended up just using the template as an idea-generator and kinda did my own thing. I posted it on my blog: http://sparrowsflight10.blogspot.com/2011/07/2-z-i-am-from.html

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home