Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Just waiting

Why is it that kids always pick the morning after we all stay up late to wake up more than an hour early? I'm so thankful for my sweet DH (dear husband) who got up, gave them breakfast and turned on a video (home video of family birthday parties--their favorite!) before he left for work this morning so I could sleep a little longer.

It's really hot here . . . I'm so glad we have air conditioning. I finally got out the wading pool yesterday, scrubbed it down and filled it for the girls. It's a great pool; quite large and has a little built in slide. I didn't get in it yesterday--just dipped my feet. But it's so hot even with the air conditioning on today that I just might get in with them.

We're still waiting on little Miss E to make her appearance.

Today is the day M guessed 5 weeks ago when she said, "In 5 weeks the baby will be here" but I see no signs that it will be today. Even the braxton-hicks contractions have settled down a lot. My midwife said that all those contractions were probably moving the baby down, and now that she's "dropped" my body is taking a break. :)

Baby is head-down and seems quite healthy. It's the strangest feeling knowing it could be any day, but each day is so normal and uneventful. Other than being tired and the fact that the baby likes to pluck at my sciatic nerve with her fist, I'm feeling pretty good. I bought a humidifier for our room, and it really helps me (and I think DH) sleep a lot better. The house is slowly getting more organized and ready. The longer she waits to be born, the more we'll get done.

I'm just taking the days one at a time, relaxing and pacing myself as much as I can. The girls, after several days of extreme grouchiness, have been amazingly sweet and cooperative the last few days. They've been doing very well with taking a nice long nap/quiet time each day, so I've been able to lie down in the afternoons too. It takes a big bite out of my "time to get things done" but it's definitely worth it. Naps are nice, and I'll be getting much less sleep very soon.

This Sunday will be DH's and my 6th anniversary. If we're not in the hospital we plan to go out for a few hours by ourselves sometime during the weekend (dependent on when we can get a babysitter). We are relishing every bit of time alone together and all the other things that won't be happening for some time after the baby is born.