Thursday, October 13, 2005

Going Natural

Well, I've got the cough, body ache, fever thing full-fledged now. Both of the girls are still coughing, too, so I'm canceling all engagements for the time being.

During some of my sitting-down-to-nurse-the-baby time, I've been researching cloth diapering options.

We were given a gift certificate for a month of diaper service when AJ was a baby 4 1/2 years ago, and we still have all the newborn and small size diaper wraps (mostly ProRaps and Green Earth, with a few others mixed in). We really liked the cloth diapers suprisingly well when we were using them, but washing them ourselves seemed overwhelming and the diaper service was expensive. Now that we have a much better and more efficient (front-loading) washing machine, I think we could handle it.


The small diaper covers I have go up to 14 lbs, which will fit baby E for, oh, about another 10 minutes before she grows out of them. Actually, they'd probably fit for a week or two at least. So I'll probably buy a few cloth diapers and give them a try.

Disposable diapers are convenient, but they are expensive. Although cloth diapers are economical and environmentally friendly, my main reason for wanting to use them is that I don't like all the chemicals and synthetic materials next to my baby's skin.

Synthetic disposable feminine products are made of the same materials. They make me so uncomfortable after a few days that I've been looking into other options and finally found one I'm going to try (the DivaCup). As I was researching products for myself, I kept thinking that if the disposable products are irritating to me in the few days each month I use them, how must the baby feel being in contact with them 24/7.

I know I want to try cloth diapers, but there are so many options to choose from. The ones that seem most appealing to me are the chinese prefolds or fitted diapers combined with a diaper wrap, or the pocket-style diapers. The pocket-style diapers get rave reviews for being leakproof and keeping the baby dry with no rashes, but they are expensive.

I did briefly consider sewing my own diapers, but I don't think that's really practical at this time.

My goal is to find the best combination of economical, leakproof, ease of care, and comfortable/dry for the baby. There's a site at diaperpin.com that has a lot of great information and product reviews--very helpful. Also, this site by juliacat has a lot of great information, including price comparisons for each type of diaper. Here's another good page at Sunshine Diapers.

So, what do you think? I'd love to hear from anyone who has used cloth diapers about what you did and didn't like.

Here are some of the options I'm considering (with links to the best deals I've found on the internet for each):

Flat diapers with diaper covers. Cheapest option, most customizable, easy to get clean with fewer wash/rinse cycles, the only true one-size-fits-all diaper option (wraps still don't fit all sizes), most inexpensive option, more complicated folding, more prone to leaks.

Chinese prefolds with diaper covers such as ProRaps (on sale here for $4.35) or Bummis. Basic, dependable, easier to use than flats.

Fitted diapers, such as the Kissaluvs, Motherease, Sammy's or Snappis, with diaper covers. Easier and more leak-proof than previous options, more expensive.

Countoured diapers like Imse Vimse and Kissaluvs Countours, with wraps. Sort of a cross between fitted and prefold diapers. Easier to use than flats/prefolds and cheaper than fitted.

Pocket diapers with fillers. The most popular seem to be FuzziBunz with a special high-absorbency insert sold by Cotton Babies (free shipping and insert), but a lot of people also seem to like the Wonderoos or Happy Heinis(same deal with insert/shipping) with the Wonder-Fulls hemp inserts. These are the most like disposables for ease of use, leakproof-ness, etc. Best protection against diaper rash unless the baby is sensitive to polyester. Synthetic material holds smells more than natural fabrics.

You can also get the FuzziBunz-type fabric in liners and doublers to put inside other diapers, helping keep moisture away from baby's skin.

I think I might start out with a small supply of prefolds and a few diaper wraps, and then get one each of a few other options to try.

Oh, and a note about the DivaCup: You can get it just about anywhere for $32.50 with free shipping, but I found a deal with 3 free cotton liner pads for just $1.50 more. Similar items available from other sources include the Keeper and the Mooncup. I chose the DivaCup because it is hypoallergenic silicone (which can be boiled to sterilize) and has a 1-year money back guarantee.

18 Comments:

Blogger Dani said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well. I hope it isn't long lasting.

I really don't have any diaper advice. We always used disposables but, with the prices, cloth was always appealing. The washing machine issue was a big deal. Regular top-loader (I envy you for your front loader!), in the basement. I have enough problems keeping up on my regular laundry to even think of adding another load (or more) a day. DH makes more laundry than 3 average men put together. :( With our income back then, a diaper service was out of the question with our first. Then, with the last two, I had two in diapers for over two years. That's a LOT of washing.

I have incredibly sensitive skin so I looked into the Diva cup myself. Years ago I tried a store bought item similar to it called "Instead". I didn't love it or hate it. It was nice not to have the bulk, but the cleaning was labor intensive. Now, with 3 active boys, I barely get to run in and out of the little girls' room without being interrupted even with as quick as I am. I can't imagine being able to care for that thing properly without someone banging on the door needing something from me NOW. I decided at this point in my life it isn't a good option. Maybe when they are older and more self-sufficient I'll give it a try. You really have your hands full with nursing and schooling. I can't imagine you get much "alone time" either. ;)

10:22 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Dani, the DivaCup and other options I listed have almost no similarity to Instead.

The menstrual cups sit lower and hold a lot more (a full ounce), and also are much less messy (they don't spill until you dump them). They also only need to be changed about every 12 hours--great for busy moms like us, and much less messy and time-consuming than pads it sounds like.

Instead is designed to be disposable, so I imagine it would be hard to clean. I'm not expecting daily maintenance of the DivaCup to be any more time-consuming than thoroughly washing my hands.

From what I've been reading, most women only sterilize the cup at the beginning and end of their cycle. It just needs to be rinsed and/or washed with soap and water most of the time. You can even just wipe it with toilet paper for an occasional public restroom exception.

I'm excited to try it, anyway.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

My goodness. I just reread what I wrote in my last comment and boy, I sound LAZY!

I can see the difference that you're talking about with the spilling and so forth. That would make it less of a chore. On a personal note; I bet I'd have to clean it about every 4-6 hours. The last kid did awful things to my cycle. C'mon hot flashes! I'm ready!! :)

This discussion is getting a bit personal. I hope you don't have many men reading you blog! LOL! I've tried to be as discreet as possible but I'm sure it's reading loud and clear.

11:10 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

I wrote: "reading you blog"

Of course I meant "your". Sheesh. I sounded like my Italian grandfather with that comment. :)

11:28 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

LOL, I didn't think you sounded lazy at all . . . just practical. We all have to prioritize.

I don't think too many men read my blog, but a few do. I tried to keep my post pretty general, too, but I guess if they read the comments they'll have to take what they get, LOL. We're being tasteful, anyway (as much as you can be with such a topic) if not completely discreet, right? LOL.

My husband just read this post and followed the link to the divacup site. Now he's totally grossed out. :)

11:51 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Oh and I forgot to mention that of all the disposable baby diapers I've tried, the best combination of price and quality in disposables seems to be Safeway's brand. They carry both a regular and premium version. Just thought I'd mention it for those who need to economize and can't use cloth for whatever reason.

Thanks for your comments, as always, Dani. Great discussion!

11:53 PM  
Blogger ccw said...

I have no experience with cloth diapers, I am leaving my 2 cents about the Diva Cup.

I tried a different brand before and had issues with the "spillage" during removal. I know it's my own blood, but it grossed me out. Maybe this is better about that than prior incarnations.

Hope you all feel better soon!

7:17 AM  
Blogger Dani said...

PK wrote:"My husband just read this post and followed the link to the divacup site. Now he's totally grossed out. :)"

ROFLOL!

I doubt my dh would have even had the guts to follow the link!

7:43 AM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

I hope you feel better soon!

7:43 AM  
Blogger CalvaryGirl said...

It looks like you've done a great deal of research. We've never used cloth diapers cause I do good to get our laundry done much less, and I'll be the first to admit being lazy, LOL!! (I'm trying to catch up as I write this)

As for the Diva Cup, Hmmmm ... I never have a real problem with the current products so I'm not so sure I would try that route.

8:10 AM  
Blogger KLee said...

I, too, tried "Instead", and found it to be sorely lacking. My problem is that...um...Aunt Flo *really* makes her presence known, so "Instead" was next to worthless for me.

I prefer to use tampons, precisely because I feel like I'm wearing a diaper all day if I wear a sanitary napkin. I *HATE* that feeling. I don't like all the waste with traditional tampons, so I use the O.B. ones. I like that they are so compact, and make less trash. Of course, a tampon is a tampon, so I suppose that they're not really good for the environment, but what are you gonna do? I may have to try the DivaCup. It's a mite pricey, but if it works (which is the big thing for me...) it will be worth the money spent.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

I'm looking forward to hearing the reviews on the Diva cup. Just in case my plan to nurse Baby Blue until I hit menopause doesn't work out...

I hope you feel better soon, PK. You need more sitting down time, I think!

1:33 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks, everyone. I'm sicker today--could it be becoming bronchitis?

I'll try to figure out a somewhat discreet way to post a review of the DivaCup, LOL.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Douglas said...

hi - I'm probably going to try the bummies and prefolds... my friend does only this (6 kids), doesn't use snappies. I noticed the snappies really snag the prefolds. The bummies will wear out in the dryer though... but I found 2 small ones 2nd hand. I also heard some good things about velcro closures - fits chubby legs. I find washing prefolds to be super easy as it basically involves shifting piles. speaking of diapers, AC smells like nacho cheese... -colleen :o)

p.s. did you know that pumping doesn't suppress fertility?

7:32 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

I was hoping to check in and find an "All Better!" post. Aw, bummer. I'm sorry to hear that it's gotten worse. :)

Feel better soon!

{{{{Hugs}}}}

9:17 PM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

I hope you feel better soon. I have to thank you. Last week I was starting to feel run down and I took Airborne, like you said, and I think it was good.

Hugs to you and get well soon!

7:51 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

I have experimented with every type of cloth diaper and non-disposable feminine hygiene product known to man, er, woman.

For diapers, I finally settled on Gerber "industrial strength" diapers with the fabulous Bummi Super Whisper Wrap. They are easy to wash at home. I never even soaked them. I did laundry every 3rd day.

For feminine hygiene -- I'm still working on it. I love the idea of the cup but mine always, always leaked, and I finally gave up. GladRags (cloth pads) are okay if you like pads (I don't). There are other options, too. Have you ever visited the online museum of menstruation?

3:02 PM  
Blogger jo(e) said...

I used cloth diapers for my kids but there weren't so many choices in those days. I just used normal flat white diapers with diaper pins. And rubber pants over them. I would dump them in a pail with water and borax. Then when the pail was full, I'd dump them in the washer. I never thought it was a big deal.

One real advantage of cloth diapers is that children can feel when they are wet. I think it's why I didn't have to bother potty training my kids. They were motivated to use the potty once they were old enough because cloth dipaers, when wet, are uncomfortable.

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home