Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Stew; the perfect fall meal

I'm sitting here eating Terra chips and drinking a big glass of water as I try to get in a quick blog post. It's almost 1 a.m. and the baby is finally asleep. She was so excited after getting to go to a ladies' Bible study and then to the grocery store that it took her a long time to fall asleep.

This kid doesn't want to miss a thing! She manages to stay awake for many hours at a time if there is anything interesting going on. But she's sleeping for a stretch of 7 hours or more at night, so I don't mind. :)


I had forgotten that I generally get a flare-up with the first big weather change of Autumn. Even with my deficiencies in eating and sleeping the last couple of months, this one hasn't been as severe as in the past. I'm tired and uncomfortable, but am still able to do most things. The girls are still sick with coughs and the baby with a stuffy nose, so we've all been taking long afternoon naps whenever we can.

As the years go by I seem to get healthier and get fewer contagious illnesses as well as milder and less frequent flare-ups. That's so encouraging.

Baby E is still so much happier now that I've cut soy and chocolate out of my diet. I'm getting better at finding soy-free foods to eat. It's actually forcing me to eat healthier and plan ahead a little more.

I was excited to discover that my favorite chips don't have any soy products in them. Terra chips are like potato chips, but they're made of taro, yucca, sweet potato, batata and parsnip--all root vegetables similar to potatoes, but with a unique flavor and great variety. They're cooked in canola, safflower and/or sunflower oil, not soybean oil like so many other products. They're expensive (about $5 for a 7.5 oz bag), but so good, so I will very occasionally treat myself to a bag.

The Safeway I shopped at tonight had really great customer service. A couple of the employees even went out of their way to find me a place where I could sit and nurse the baby when she got hungry. I've been known to walk around feeding the baby discreetly while pushing the cart and selecting groceries with the other hand. But with a bigger baby and as tired as I was, I wanted to find a place to sit down. Safeway let me use their breakroom and even arranged two chairs and pulled a curtain so I could put my feet up and relax in privacy. I was very impressed.

I know I shop at one local store often because they have a supervised, free childcare area that my two older girls love to go play in. If a store set up a semi-private area with comfortable chairs where people could sit to rest, wait for someone, or nurse a baby, I'll bet that would draw more customers to shop there. I think I'll make that suggestion at the grocery stores I frequent.

At the store I bought the ingredients for a hearty stew--beef, red potatoes, carrots, celery, turnip, spinach and mushrooms. I'll add a few things like herbs from my garden, onions, garlic and squash and put it in the crock pot tomorrow morning. Usually I'd add some beans or lentils, but I'm not sure I want to risk that. I've been avoiding all legumes lately since soy bothers the baby and nuts are closely related and a huge allergen, and I'm not sure about beans.

With the colder weather, a stew will be perfect for dinner tomorrow along with a loaf of homemade bread.

With my bread machine, it's so easy to just dump in the ingredients and a few hours later there's a loaf of bread. I really like my bread machine. Actually, I have two bread machines--one was a wedding gift and I picked the second one up at a garage sale for $5. It's nice to have two, because one loaf of bread is enough for about a day for my family--or two meals if it's good bread. I like to have two or three different kinds of bread at once, especially if we have company and will go through more than one loaf of bread in a meal.

There's something about colder weather that makes food more appealing and cooking more fun. My mouth is already watering thinking of tomorrow's dinner.

12 Comments:

Blogger ccw said...

Nice store!

That all sounds so yummy! The cooler weather has us cooking up a storm and eating like pigs.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Jane Dark said...

Terra chips! Yum.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

I just love Terra chips. That is so great that you found a store that is so accomodating. You publicizing this will definitely draw more people there.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

mmmm...I love stew!

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now, I wonder where Baby E got that trait of not wanting to miss anything? LOL
Mom

7:30 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

*looking around innocently* Well, Mom, I wouldn't have a clue, would I?

R2Ks, I am trying to think of a good way to publicize it farther than on my blog. I may post on a breastfeeding support group or something of that sort.

Wish I could share the stew and Terra chips with all you lovely commenters!

10:35 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

That store would put most LI'ers in a state of shock with that kind of hospitality. I was stunned just reading it! Lucky you! :)

My boys never slept in the stroller or in any store. Ever. I always said they were nosey and didn't want to miss anything. ;)

Mmmmm. Stew. That's going to be cooking here some time over the next few days. I'm a pressure cooker girl, though. I can be done from the first chop of a vegetable to serving it out into bowls in under an hour and a half. It's great for last minute dinner decisions. I've also been thinking of investing in a crock pot. Any suggestions?

BTW, your blog is the only one I read where their mom reads AND comments. I love it! {waving hand high over head} Hi PK's mommy! :)

So, how did the stew come out?

11:24 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Dani, the stew wasn't great. I have never yet had good luck with stew in the crock pot. I think it's because I try to make it like my mom always made it in the Dutch oven, and that just doesn't work well in the crock pot. The crock pot does, however, make absolutely fabulous roasts. I have an oval Rival crock pot and it's perfect for bigger things.

This is probably a really dumb question, but what does LI stand for?

Oh, and I love it that my mom comments, too! My dad has commented once or twice too, and my sister is a regular. It's nice!

11:48 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

BTW, Brandi--what's a pressure cooker like to use and clean, and are they expensive?

With a crock pot, look for a removable (dishwasher safe is even better) ceramic insert. They're much easier to clean.

12:04 AM  
Blogger Dani said...

LI = Long Island, NY

Sorry for being presumptuous and thinking that everyone knows what/where Long Island is. :) In fact, I didn't even know where it was until I met DH who lived here his whole life. I'm originally from coastal CT. I can SEE LI from the beaches where I'm from (if I looked across Long Island Sound). Geography was never my strong point. ;)

I love my pressure cooker, but only use it for a few things. Stew, chicken soup, pot roast, boiling potatoes, etc. Things that take long to do on top of the stove, basically. I made the mistake of buying a TFal aluminum model so it's a little harder to clean than most. Stainless steel is always easier. A stove top model (unlike an electric) is completely submersible so cleaning them is not much different than a regular stock pot. If you are planning on buying one, go bigger than you think you need. You can really only fill them to 1/2 or 2/3 full or liquid will comes shooting out of the steam-release. (Can you guess that I found that out the hard way? Chicken soup on the ceiling. Oh. The horror.)

I belong to a Yahoo group called Pressure Cooker Recipes (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PressureCookerRecipes/)
The people on that board are THE resource for information on which are the best to buy or a waste of money. They post tons of incredible recipes multiple times a day, too. Stop by and check it out when you get a chance.

Thanks for the crock pot info... I may be asking Santa for one. ;)

8:02 AM  
Blogger CalvaryGirl said...

Have you seen flylady's ideas for soups? I have them posted here in my weight loss blog. Oh, check my profile, I have a new personal blog on blogspot now. Sorry the stew wasn't that good!! I've been trying to emplore more soups lately to fill up more healthfully :)

8:58 AM  
Blogger Dani said...

Forgot to answer the price question. Pressure Cookers can vary greatly anywhere from $40-$200 depending on brand/size. I paid about $100 for mine from Sears. Well, that was the regular price anyway.... I'm a bargain hunter, too. :) If I could do it all over again, I'd buy a Cook's Essentials from QVC or a Kuhn Rico (I know that's spelled wrong!) from Amazon.

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home