Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Contrition

MM just came to find me, and said, "Mommy, I really love you a lot."

"Oh, thank you, Honey . . . I love you too."

I bit my lip and stopped myself just in time from saying something like, "But the best way to show me that you love me is by obeying and doing what you're supposed to do." We already dealt with her disobedience this morning, and it's done. I don't want her to feel that my love (or my acceptance of her love for me) is conditional.

There was a long pause. Then, twisting her hair in her hand, turning her toe in the carpet and looking at me out of the corner of her eye, she said, "I'm sorry I took the nail polish and made a mess, Mommy."

I was so glad I'd held my tongue.

4 Comments:

Blogger Liz Miller said...

So sweet.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

Oh, that is just enough to make your heart soar. Good job!

5:09 PM  
Blogger Sparrow said...

Awww, so sweet. :-)

9:27 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

I know how hard it is sometimes to not say things like that. Kudos! Very sweet.

6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home