Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Flat heads and food allergies

Baby E had her 2-month well-baby check today. The doctor could hear some mucous around her bronchial cords, but her lungs were clear and her breathing sounded good. She and I both still get occasional hoarseness or coughing at brief, seemingly random intervals.

Baby E smiled and cooed at the doctor and seemed to thoroughly enjoy the exam. She weighed in at 14 lbs. 3 oz. and 25 inches, 90th and 95th percentile. Her head circumference was only 50th percentile, and it looks (as I suspected) like her occipital bone (the bone at the back of the skull) is overlapping the other bones in her head. She should grow out of that with no problems, the doctor said.

The main concern is that she's developing a flat spot on the back right side of her head. The doctor said I needed to either start having her sleep on her belly, or prop her head to the left when she's sleeping.

Neither of those options sound great to me because of the risk of SIDS or smothering. Whenever we lay Baby E on her stomach during the day, when she gets tired of it she plants her face straight down into the blanket and cries, making her breathing labored. And I can't see how it would be safe to put something beside her head where if she did manage to turn her head to the right, it would be up against her face.

So I don't know what we'll do. I think we'll start by trying to increase the amount of awake time she spends on her belly as much as possible, and turning her head to the left after she falls asleep.

Since we're still getting over being sick, I wanted to wait a week or so to make sure E is well before having her vaccinated. Meanwhile, I requested the product inserts for the vaccines she's supposed to get. They'll make for some time-consuming but interesting reading.


So far, I've discovered that several of the vaccinations she's supposed to get are cultured on or otherwise contain soy. That may be a problem, since she will scream for hours at a time if I ingest even a trace amount of soy and it gets into the breastmilk, and it has given her diarrhea before also. If she reacts that badly to a tiny amount in breastmilk, what would having it injected do to her?

Speaking of E's food intolerances, we've added another to the list: dairy. I bought some goat milk and goat yogurt last week, since I used to be able to drink goat milk just fine even at the height of my dairy allergies as a child. Even a moderate amount made both me and Baby E miserable for the next several hours. So now we've got the following list of foods Baby E can't handle: Soy, chocolate, dairy, anything containing caffeine. I'm also avoiding all nuts since that's a very serious and common allergen, and soy and peanut allergies often go hand in hand. Plus, of course, I'm highly allergic to both avocados and blackberry leaves, so she's never had exposure to those.

There is something else I've been eating that bothers both me and the baby, too, but I haven't yet pinpointed whether it's wheat, oats, eggs or carrageenan, or more than one of those. Other members of my family have wheat and oat allergies, but egg is the most common allergen after dairy and soy, I'm told. I'm hoping it's just the carrageenan--many people get a stomachache from that just because it's not really digestible. I have noticed an improvement since switching to rice milk free of carrageenan and other waxes (Rice Dream Original).

Interestingly enough, it seems that my body is in synch with the baby's. Things that didn't bother me before (like chocolate) started giving me problems if I ate too much of them while pregnant and nursing with Baby E.

Baby E and I get to go to our church's women's retreat this weekend. This year there will be a cottage for the nursing moms and infants. I think it's a 4-bedroom house, and there are three of us going so far. So there will be plenty of room to spread out. I'm really looking forward to it--I just hope I'll be able to eat the food at the retreat center. :)

7 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

I've read conflicting information on the subject of vaccinations. If you find those statistics you're looking for, regarding the relative, holistic risks, I'd be interested in seeing them.

10:53 PM  
Blogger Jane Dark said...

I'm so sorry you're being plagued by so many food allergies -- hope things improve soon.

6:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the same problem with Katrina at 2 months. One side of her head was already getting flat because she preferred sleeping on this one side. We used the wedges for side sleeping. However, instead of having her sleep in the side position we used them to slightly elevate one side of her body and it made it more comfortable for her to sleep facing "the other way". I hope this helps.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

Allergies! Ugh!

No suggestions here, just sympathy. Have fun on the retreat!

12:26 PM  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Big good for you for paying such close attention to Baby E's reactions to foods. I'm always amazed at how many people sort of blow it off when their child develops hives or something similar.

I wish I could send you to my allergist. She's good about helping people deal with the nutritional issues.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

I was just told about an amazing allergy cookbook, and maybe that will help you.

I'm sorry Baby E (and you) are suffering with this. I hope you both can find a way around it. At least some intolerances can be outgrown if there is total avoidance early. You are doing her a great service.

Here's a link to the book:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157067163X/103-5489068-0591836?v=glance&n=283155&%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance
Food allergy survival guide

5:26 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

So, we have another thing in common. A flat-headed kid, lol! Okay, so it's not funny... just a bit ironic. Mikey actually had severe plagiocephally which required him to be fitted for a molding helmet. To put it mildly, it didn't work out. He only wore it for like a month and a half and learned how to rip it off his head. He was obviously having more fun rolling this $500 ball around the living room, rather than using it to reshape his head. From prying it off of his little head he was getting these abrasions from his cheekbones all the way up to his temples and hairline. The dr. told me to make a choice... a kid with scars on his face or a kid with a flat spot on his head. I opted for the flat spot. He will just never be able to have a short haircut. He's 5 now and we just get him a standard little boy haircut parted on the side. I always tell the barber to leave a little bit of extra hair in the back to make it appear fuller and it works. Unless his hair is wet and plastered to his head, you can't tell. Don't worry yourself too much about appearances. Some day Baby E will have a nice full head of girly-girl hair and you won't notice a thing. :)

On the other hand, you don't want to let it get too severe because it can actually cause the face to become malformed and asymmetrical. Now, that it only in very severe cases... not just a little flat spot.

I understand your concern about SIDS, it was a great concern of ours too. Especially after he experienced what is called "near sudden infant death syndrome" at 1 1/2 months (I told you about that in an email some time ago). A major portion of Baby E's day, you are awake. Just put her on her back at night when you can't watch her. If she spends most of her day on her belly or in the exersaucer, it won't get any worse. In order to help it get "better", you do have to get her to sleep on that other side a bit, though.

I am being a total blog-hog carrying on about this. If you want any more info on how we handled things, drop me a line.

Enjoy your retreat! (PS - I'd be totally worried about the food intolerances. Pack snacks to bring with you!!!)

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home