Saturday, January 14, 2006

A Malwagy and Sillygisms

I forgot to say that the girls and I had fun at lunch yesterday. I explained that I'd made a mistake the day before, and what we'd been playing at dinner wasn't called syllogisms, it was called analogies.

Then I explained syllogisms to them:

"All cats have whiskers. Boots is a cat. So what do we know about Boots?"

Long pause. Then their faces brightened: "On your feet!" "Yeah, feet!"

"No, Boots is the cat's name. If all cats have whiskers, and Boots is a cat, what does Boots have?"

"You wear them on your feet!"

"Okay, forget Boots. The cat isn't named Boots. The cat is named . . . Fluffy. If cats have whiskers, and Fluffy is a cat, what do we know about Fluffy?"

"Ummm . . . he has whiskers?"

Then they had it.

We played with syllogisms until they requested to do "a malwagy" again. They solved all the analogies I could think of and came up with some of their own.

So, what part of the SAT shall we prepare for next?

4 Comments:

Blogger Sparrow said...

Everyone knows you wear boots on your feet! LOL Too funny.

So fun that they figured it out, though. Smart kids! :-)

1:21 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Cute!

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

reading comprehension

10:36 PM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

You totally inspired me with this game!

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home