Thursday, April 20, 2006

Cloth Advocate?

Our next MOMS group meeting is "Idea Sharing" day. People can sign up to share information about various things that they think would be helpful to other moms. I signed up to share information about cloth diapering and natural feminine products.

I'm going to keep it low-key; my goal is not to "convert" anyone or put down disposable products (after all, I still use them sometimes!). But I want to let people know what's available and how accessible and easy the reusable products can be. I'm not sure yet if I'll be doing the presentation by myself or with another cloth diapering mom.

#######################

I'm going to take along samples of different diapers and covers to show. I have flat, prefold, fitted, and all-in-one diapers. As covers go, I have some Proraps and other similar styles, a Bummi Super Whisper Wrap, and a couple of homemade wraps.

I'm hoping to make, buy or borrow a fleece pocket diaper, a contour diaper, and as many other types of diapers and covers as I can. I don't have any snapping diapers or covers and don't own a snap press, so that's the really big gap in my collection, as is anything made of hemp or wool. I'm not sure DH would approve of me buying one of each just to show everyone what they're like (and to try myself, of course)! Ha-ha.

I'm going to have scraps of as many different diaper-making fabrics as I can find, labeled so people can get an idea of what's available, as well as a few diaper patterns and information about online sources of free patterns. I'll show how I made my own diaper pattern by tracing a disposable diaper, too, if I have time. I may end up having to make a lot of this stuff available just for people to look at after the presentation, so I don't take up too much time.

As for feminine products, I plan to talk about cloth pads, menstrual cups, and sea sponges. I don't have a sea sponge but will try to find a picture of one to share. I've found just through casual conversation in the ladies' room when it comes up that so many women are extremely unhappy with the commonly used options, but don't realize that there are alternatives.

Over the next couple of weeks I'm going to be trying to pick out a handful of the best resources for info. on choosing, buying, caring for and sewing diapers and femininine products. I'll make handouts for those who are interested to take home so they don't need to worry about taking notes.

I've always enjoyed public speaking, and I'm excited about this opportunity. It will be fun sharing information that's interesting to me and that I hope will be helpful for others.

My hope is that a few people who have wanted to try cloth but are afraid it would be too difficult (or that people would make fun of them) would be equipped to go ahead and do it if they want to.

If people aren't using cloth because they really don't want to, great. But I've had people tell me that they wanted to use cloth but were afraid people would think they were weird, or that they really wanted to do it but it seemed intimidating because they don't know anyone else who uses them. That's the group I'm hoping to reach with my little presentation.

5 Comments:

Blogger jo(e) said...

Wow, this made me feel old. I still think of cloth diapers (with diapers pins) as the norm. And I am still startled when people talk about buying diapers.

I think the main disadvantage of disposable diapers is the child can't feel the wetness -- so then potty training becomes this big ordeal. I suppose I could be wrong, I can't think of any other explanation for why potty training seems to be this big deal nowadays.

Interesting tidbit: native peoples in this country once used moss for diapers and to soak up menstrual blood.

5:28 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

jo(e), it's amazing how fast the cultural change took place. Almost nobody uses cloth anymore it seems--though now, like breastfeeding, it is making a comeback.

I loved the tidbit and will use it in my presentation. Maybe I'll take along some moss to display, LOL.

The main reason I'm doing cloth for my baby is to avoid the chemicals and overdrying of baby's skin inherent in disposables.

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are providing a wonderful service to those women, PK. Not until long after my boys were out of diapers was I exposed to people who opted for cloth over disposable. I think if it were more the 'norm' I may have considered it. It was pure ignorance on the subject that made me decide to use disposables. If I had "known" someone like you back then, there might be way less diapers in our landfills. :)

4:42 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

BTW, jo(e)--you're right. Cloth is supposed to make potty training easier.

9:28 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Dani, you're right--so many people nowadays don't even consider using cloth. In our culture now, it seems disposable is the default.

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home